Chapter Seventeen- Checkmate and Combat

I was sitting at the breakfast table with Josh the next morning. I sat there quietly, still full from Niall and my junk food binge yesterday afternoon to eat anything.

I was wearing a dress from Catherine, she let me borrow it for the day, and I was really grateful. All my other dresses were either at the seamstress or in the wash.

Tiggers and Chester were running around the Dining Hall, wrestling with each other playfully and I watched them with a gentle smile on my face. The two of them had become best friends, just as Chester and Niall had; almost instantly. They both slept together in my basket, which I had removed all my family's belongings from, and made it into a small bed for the two of them. Surprisingly, the Middlemist was still alive, so I put it in a pot, and gave it some water.

"Do you know where the rabbit came from?" Josh asked, after taking a sip of his freshly squeezed orange juice.

"That's Chester. He's my bunny." I smiled beamingly at him .

Josh chuckled. "Well then, he's very cute." He said, taking another sip of his juice.

Simon had taken the five other boys to the tailor earlier this morning to get new clothes fitted for the ball. At the thought of the major upcoming event, I squirmed nervously. I had a weeks time to prepare for the thousands of higher class people know I knew where going to make a defining judgement against me and Simon, plus his family, so I could not make a singular mistake.

"Josh, why didn't you go with your brothers?" I asked breathlessly, trying to distract myself from my taunting brain. Even though I was grateful for the company, I found it strange that he wasn't forced into going to.

"I had bought new clothes yesterday. Sometimes my brothers all become a bit too overwhelming when they're all together, so usually I have days to myself." He said simply, and I agreed with him. I had never slept so well since living in the castle, the boys seem to find different ways to tire me out.

"If that's the case, what are we going to do today?" I asked.

"I have a surprise already set up for you, but that's not until after breakfast." He said with a wink.

I rolled my eyes, but waited for him to finish his food, which he began eating at an incredibly slow rate.

-

"Where are you taking me?" I groaned impatiently. I had my arms sprawled out in front of me, trying not to run into anything. Josh was holding onto my waist, making sure I didn't fall; I could feel the warmth of his hands seeping through the thin material of my dress. He had blindfolded me, trying to keep his plan a surprise. I couldn't see a thing, and for that reason I was not particularly keen on this part.

Josh laughed. "Patience Beka, good things happen to those who wait." He announced, and I pouted. "You aren't scared of the dark, are you?"

My defenced shot up, and I straightened my stance. "No, I just don't like the fact that, being the uncoordinated person I am, for the ground to suddenly be up against my face, or to walk into a spider web." I stated.

Josh let out an amused chuckle, his hand trailing up one side of my waist, and my body reacted by flinching slightly due to my heighten senses but continued to keep walking. "I can assure you, Beka, I will not be so mean as to let you walk into a spider web." He reassured me.

I relaxed upon hearing that, and Josh brought me to a standstill, his hands disappearing from my waist. I could smell the wonderful scents of wildflowers, and I could hear the happy chirping of birds near me, so I knew tell we were somewhere in the garden.

"Ok, you can take the blindfold off now." Josh said from further away. I hadn't heard him move away. I slipped the blindfold over my head, shaking my hair free. My eyes took a couple of seconds to adjust to the sunlight that was shining through the trees, but I gasped upon seeing the scene that was in front of me, the blindfold slipping out of my hand.