Chapter Thirty- Three- Scavenger Hunt (Part 4)

Beka's POV-

My chest heaved with exhaustion, as I crawled up the very last step, and collapsed on the landing. I was seriously going to kill Niall when I got back down...if I could be bothered.

"Note to self...salad diet..." I panted, looking up at the wooden structure of the bell tower.

"You're just lucky you don't have to do that daily." An unknown voice echoed through the room. I jumped at the unexpected noise, and rolled to my feet, looking around the landing for the other person in the tower. Nobody was there. It seemed like I was alone. Did I imagine that?

"Hello...?" I asked expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Hi, how are you?" said the voice again, cheerfully. There was something familiar about that voice.

I felt so confused. I took a couple cautious steps further away from the staircase to better inspect the tower. The huge bell hung in the middle of the room, with massive archways that led out to a walkway that looked over the kingdom.

"I'm good, a bit confused." I replied, moving out towards the walkway. It was the only spot where the mystery voice could be coming from.

The wind picked up as I took a step outside the tower, blowing my long hair out behind me. The view was spectacular. I could see everything from out here. I placed a hand on the metal railing, steadying myself. The kingdom, my home, never looked so beautiful to me before.

"You shouldn't go so close to the edge." The voice said right behind me. I whipped around, taking a step back. The railing broke with my weight, and I began to fall. A terrified scream escaped from my lungs as the air rushed passed me. I clawed at nothing, hoping that I could grab something, but I didn't get a hold of something, something grabbed a hold of me.

Two gloved hands grabbed my wrist, and suspended my body in the oblivion below. I looked down, and a shaky breath left my lips. I was hanging above the town square, and I was so high up that the townspeople below, couldn't hear my terrified screams. I looked up to see the person that had saved me, a figure dressed in all black with a brown hat covering his hair, and a red piece of cloth to cover his lower face. I could only see his eyes, and their stormy colour.

The figure was obviously a male, because he used his superior upper body strength to lift me back onto the walkway. I collapsed onto the ground beneath me, and tears of shock started to slip down my cheeks. I squeezed my eyes to stop the tears, and when I opened them; the mystery person was gone, gone with no trace, except a small heart shaped object, with a silhouette of a beautiful girl on top of it, placed beside me.

It was very tiny, a size that you could only fit a ring in. I sat up, whipping the tears off my cheeks. I had a feeling that he, the mystery man, left this purposely, but why...? I picked up the object, and it felt heavier than I had expected, so I knew it wasn't a jewellery box.

I opened the delicate lid, and a figure of a prince and a princess dancing, popped up from a spring. Music started playing and the two figures twirled in a small circle. It was a music box, and even though it was something simple, I loved it. The princess was wearing a golden ball gown, and her hair was long, wavy, and brown. I guessed that it was supposed to be me, and with my mother's lullaby playing from the tiny box, it only seconded my assumption. I crossed my legs underneath me, and watched the tiny figures dance, mesmerised. I couldn't keep the smile off my face. I was happy.

-

The song ended, and the two figures stopped twirling, I could still hear a ticking noise coming from inside the mechanics so I waited to see if there were any surprises in store. After a couple of seconds of waiting, the middle section, where the dancers were attached, started to rise up, revealing a secret compartment. I sat back, a little shocked, and when the box stopped ticking, and moving, I reached into the tiny compartment, and with my fingertips I pulled out a piece of paper that was folded several times, to make it as small as possible.