Chapter Twenty- Nine- Emotional Roller-coaster

Beka’s POV-

It’s almost been a week since Louis and I made the bet between the girls and boys. The competition was tomorrow. I knew the girls were ready. They’ve been trying so hard all week, they were determined. Surprisingly they had learnt very quickly, which meant I had more time to spend with Mitch.

After finishing a two hour training session with the girls, I was walking through the Dining Hall, heading to Mitch’s room. He was occupying a room in the eastern wing where the rest of the parents were staying. I knew a lot more about him now. He liked to laugh a lot, and he was very competitive, just like me. He could sing and play the piano as well. On our first date, we sat in front of the piano for hours and just played to each other.

The two of us didn’t really tell anybody about our relationship, there was no point, because everybody just assumed we were together, we didn’t really hide it either. I liked Mitchell a lot. He made me happy, happier than I’ve ever been before.

“Hey Beka, wait!” Josh’s voice called from the Dining Table, where a couple of the boys and other men were sitting. I turned back to towards him, giving Josh my attention. He made his way over to me from his seat. “Have you seen Paul?” he asked curiously.

“Excuse me?” I asked shocked. That was definitely a name I wasn’t expecting to come out of Josh’s mouth.

“There are rumours going around the castle that Paul Higgins has returned. Apparently one of the guards saw him walking the castle halls this morning. Have you seen him?” Josh asked again.

I looked away, trying to swallow the large lump that had risen in my throat. “No. No I haven’t.” I croaked. Clearing my throat, I looked back up at him. “Someone’s playing you Josh. Just ignore it.” I said stiffly, and quickly stalked off.

With Paul’s name came many painful memories, memories of my parents, my brothers, Lillian, the hurt…my old life. I held back tears as I continued to Mitch’s room. I knew he could help me. I had told him about what happened to my family, and he understood my pain. I knew he could comfort me.

I reached his door soon later, because I practically ran to his room, and knocked briskly on the thick wood. No reply came. I knocked again louder. “Mitch, it’s me,” I cried, tears slipping down my face. “Please let me in.” Again, there was no reply.

I pushed on the door, discovering it was unlocked. It swung open until it hit the wall with a bang. “Mitchell?” I whimpered. There was no sign of him in the room. His chest of clothes had disappeared, and his bed was perfectly made. My chest started to heave worriedly. I flung the cupboard doors open, discovering that it was bare. Where are his clothes? Where are his shoes? Where is Mitchell?

"Mitchell!” I screamed feeling incredibly scared. I check the bathroom, but that to, had no one, or anything, in it to suggest a person had been staying in the room.

My mind immediately thought of the worst. “He can’t be gone.” I whispered to myself, bringing my hands to my face. My feet carried me backwards, until I was leaning against the elaborate floor to ceiling mirror that was hanging off the wall. My back slid down the reflective glass, until I was sitting on the ground, tears streaming down my face. There was a crumbling sound behind me, and I turned to find a piece of folded paper wedge between the frame, and the glass of the mirror.  

I ripped it from the frame, and unfolded it quickly. My eyes skimmed over the written words hurriedly, and I couldn’t understand it, because my hands were shaking so much. I re-read over the lines, and my tears dripped onto the page. I could hear Mitchell’s voice in my head as I read his letter to myself.