Chapter Thirty-Four- Scavenger Hunt (Part 5)

Beka's POV-

It didn't take me long to get to the other side of the kingdom. Mischief went all out, getting me there with ten minutes to spare. I was hoping that Josh, being the last brother, didn't hide his present too hard, or I definitely wasn't going to get back by four.

At the river, there was far less people than I expected. Usually by this time of day it was swarming with townspeople. I shrugged it off, and walked Mischief over to where the Weeping Willows lean over to the water's edge.

Before my birth family got the bathroom built, we used to come to the river and bathe when I was little. Elijah hadn't even been born yet. I would hide in the curtailing branches of the willows and pretend that I was in a world of my own, so when I pushed the flaky leaves aside, and stepped into the dome the tree created, leaving Mischief waiting just outside, it brought a massive smile to my face.

I felt like I had stepped back in time. I felt like a kid again. I danced around the circular space, unable to control my laughter. The river was flowing quickly and I could hear the sound of the rapid rushing passed the rocks and the people bathing. It reminded me of the time that Dad fell in, fully clothed.

-

When I grew tired, I lied down in the dirt, not caring about getting my clothes dirty, and just stared up at the branches as they swayed in the wind. I looked over them, lovingly, until a flash of silver caught my eye in the sturdier part of the trunk.

"Really Josh...? You put my present up a tree...?" I said slightly frustrated, but excited that I got to climb. I walked over to the base of the tree, and slipped my shoes off my feet, I dropped them in my bag, making sure I didn't lose them.

When I was standing barefoot in the dirt, I jumped up and grabbed the nearest branch. I pulled myself up, once my fingers clamped around the branch, and Mischief made a worried noise as he watched me climb.

"I'll be fine, boy. Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I don't know how to do manly things..." I said brushing him off.

I could have sworn I saw him roll his eyes, but I ignored it and kept climbing, reaching the silver object. I realized what it was, once I untied it from the branch.

"A sword...?" I asked myself. I pulled on the elegant handle, releasing it from its sheath. "No definitely not a sword, a dagger." I said, looking down the length of the beautifully crafted blade.

"What is with Josh and weapons that could potentially cause death from internal bleeding? Doesn't he realize that pointy things hurt?" I asked rhetorically, looking up from the blade.

My eyes landed on a note dangling in the leaves. I slipped the dagger back into its sheath and dropped it into my bag, in the folds of the blanket.

I reached out to the note but my arm wasn't long enough. I tried repositioning myself to reach further, but I reached too far, and slipped out of the tree. I closed my hand around the note, and as I fell, the branches slipped passed me. I screamed, having to fall for the second time that day, and closed my eyes tightly. The ground was rushing up to me quickly, but the impact never came, I felt a jolt instead.

I opened my eyes, and found myself hanging upside down, my hair dangling below me, touching the ground that was a foot below my head. One of the weeping willow branches twisted around my foot. Mischief trotted over to me, flicking his tail, in a way that said 'I told you so.'

I rolled my eyes, and crossed my arms across my chest. "Oh shush you..." I said annoyed. I hated being proved wrong, especially by a horse. "And besides, I didn't get hurt, and I got the note." I bragged, poking my tongue out, waving it smugly in front of his face. Mischief squint his mahogany eyes at me, but played it off like it was nothing.

I clicked my fingers, and Mischief came closer to me, so I could pull myself up and onto his back. I managed to untie the branch, releasing my ankle with one hand, and read the note, which was in the other.

I love being able to multitask...

Dear Monkey....I mean Beka,

I hope you enjoyed your climb. Rebecca thought it was a stupid idea for you to be climbing things, especially with you being uncoordinated and all...and I just insulted you-

Dear Beka,

I hope that Sox and my present brings you protection when you need it. I also hope the situation never comes up that you do need the dagger, but even though I do like swords and other pointy objects, it makes me feel a little bit more relaxed, knowing that you're a little safer with the dagger.

Lots of love,

Josh and Sox...hey that rhymes!

I laughed at Josh's note and put it with everything else, in the bag. I slipped my feet into the stirrups, and grabbed the reigns, preparing myself from Mischief to go nuts.

"Hey boy...?" I said excitedly. Mischief's ears shot up, and he turned his head towards me. "Let's go home...oh, and go crazy." I said letting him do what he wanted.

I could tell he was excited because he began shaking his head, and stamping his feet. I adjusted the bag on my shoulder, making sure not to lose it, and grabbed hold of Mischief's mane and the reigns, just to secure myself. "Alright buddy, let's go..." I exclaimed, giving him a kick in the sides.

Mischief shot off at an incredible speed, using the full ability of his long legs, and I lowered myself in the saddle, laughing with delight as the wind rushed passed me.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hey Lovelies,

I thought I'd update today of honour of the Easter Holiday. I hope you have a wonderful day!

I'm sorry this chapter is short, but I'll give you a hint. (Whispering) *This was the second last chapter*. Be preparred for the end! I've already written it, and I hope you like it. I should be able to post it either tonight or this afternoon, but make sure you keep on your toes.

Love Always,

Beka Fisher

xoxo