Chapter Thirty-One- Scavenger Hunt (Part 2)

Beka's POV-

I burst through the bakery door, thinking that I was too late, to find it packed with a lot of people, all eating pastries, and breads at the wooden tables. Everyone in the store turned to stare at me, including Cole from behind the counter. Some little kids laughed at me, but their father punished them before bowing, apologising. I blushed, and made my way over to Cole, the remaining people bowed to me as I walked passed, and I nodded my head, smiling at them feeling embarrassed, showing them acknowledgement.

"Princess Beka, it's been a while." Cole laughed, as I reached him, breaking the silence of everybody in the small bakery. I nodded my head in agreement, and the conversations started around me again.

"Yes, it has been a while Cole, too long if I do say so myself." I smiled back at him. Cole came around the counter, taking me in a warm hug. I breathed in the smell of bread in his clothes and sighed in contempt. It reminded me of my old life as a commoner, when I used to come here every day and buy my breakfast before going off to search for flowers. In a way, I miss the simplicity of my old life.

Cole held me back from him, and looked me over, still smiling. "Happy birthday!" he exclaimed cheerfully.

"Thank you." I replied laughing.

"And what has brought you to my little bakery on this fine wintery day." He asked, placing his hand on his hips.

"My family has sent me on a scavenger hunt. The last clue I read said I that I should come to the bakery, and buy my favourite treat." I said, reading over Lou's note again, before I showed it to him.

Cole nodded to himself, and smiled. "One blueberry muffin, that'll be coming right up." Cole said walking back behind the counter. I smiled brightly as he handed me the biggest blueberry muffin I had ever seen. I gave him the money to pay for it and strolled outside. Mischief was waiting patiently for me, but he was eyeing the passer-by's if they came to close to him.

I laughed and made my way over to him. He seemed to relax when he saw me approaching, but I realized he was looking hungrily at my muffin. I hadn't eaten much of it; I didn't really feel like eating, even though I had skipped breakfast. I held it out to him and he sniffed at it cautiously, before making a delighted sound in the back of his throat, and taking the rest of my muffin with one gigantic bite, leaving the paper wrapping in my hand. I gave him a shocked look, not expecting him to do that. I didn't even know horses liked muffins.

I placed my hands on my hips, and looked at him incredulously. "You'll get a tummy ache if you eat too quickly, and besides, horses aren't supposed to eat muffins." I told him. Mischief stopped chewing for a second, gave me a look that suggested he really didn't care, and I just smirked at him, patting him on the neck. He made a gurgling sound in the back of his throat suggesting he was enjoying me patting him.

While Mischief was scarfing down the rest of my muffin, I looked at the paper wrapping, noticing it was much thicker than usual. I unfolded the paper to reveal the second clue. Liam's handwriting was the most noticeable thing about it, apart from the blueberry stains, and muffin crumbs that fell out of the folds, because his writing was impeccably small and neat for a teenaged boy.

Dear Beka,

I hoped you enjoyed your muffin, it was Isabelle's idea. It certainly took Cole a long time to make one big enough for her likings, but a part from that, if you look in the brushes out the front of Cole's shop, you'll find a small box wrapped in paper. It a present from me, I know it's not much, but in the beginning, when you first arrived, you helped me when I was down, when I needed it the most, and I want you to know that I'll always be there for you, even if I'm not around. I'll always be whatever you need, whenever you need it.

Isabelle and I are always here for you through the suns and storms,

So is everybody else,

I love you sister,

Liam

I smiled at Liam's kind note, and walked back over to the front of the shop, where I began looking through the garden. A few people in the shop, and in the street, stared at me curiously. Mischief even followed me, and looked over my shoulder wondering what I was doing.

It took me a while, and a lot of disproving stares, but I found the small box that Liam had written about in his note, wedged between two rocks. When I unfolded the paper carefully that was wrapped around it, I found the next riddle written on it.

On this day we will recognize,

That you, my young sister Beka, must find,

The answers to riddles you will seek.

To find your surprise,

Go where your voice is not aloud passed a squeak.

Your second clue will lead you near,

A place where you might possibly stop for a beer.

Between the dust, scrolls, and pages,

Show my present to a man who collects wages.

I opened Liam's present, and smiled again, feeling grateful to him. I took the silver chain out of the box, and held it in my hand. It was a silver anklet, with a charm hanging off it. It read: 'Our Sister' in neat cursive script. I swallowed back tears, and clipped the clasp around my ankle. As Liam said, it wasn't much, but it did mean a lot to me...he meant a lot to me... All my brothers did...My whole family did.

"At a place where your voice is not aloud passed a squeak...The Public Library." I beamed. I hadn't been there in a very long time. My family used to go there one weekend every year and spend the whole day reading to each other, and just enjoying each other's company.

I used the small stone wall that surrounded the garden, that stopped people like me climbing through it, to help me get on Mischief's back, and then we quickly rode off to the library, with the civilian's eyes watching me.

-

The intoxicating smell of old books, and pages filled my nose as I strolled through the rows upon rows of shelves. I trailed my hand alone the leather spines, feeling the smooth texture under my fingertips. My eyes closed with the serenity, reliving the memories of my family, and I just let my feet carry me wherever they wanted to go. There was a gentle sweeping noise as my dress caressed the ground, and my whole body relaxed.

I had only made it halfway down one of the long rows of books, before someone interrupted my peaceful state by clearing their throat. With an annoyed sigh, I open my eyes, to find someone's chest only inches from my face. I jumped back startled, and lost my footing, falling over.

I looked up at the person in front of me, and Vaughn Baxter, the tax collector, was looking down at me, with the same shocked expression. "Princess Beka." He smirked, extending a hand to help me up. I took it, and was on my feet seconds later.

"Mr Baxter, I apologise, you startled me." I said straitening myself out. I was glad only he saw that incident. It would have been very embarrassing otherwise.

"I apologise for startling you, Princess." He said, bowing respectively. I smiled back kindly, accepting his apology.

Vaughn scratched the back of his head awkwardly, and cleared his throat. "I know it was a long time ago now, but I've been busy with business, so I never got the chance to express my condolences for the loss of your family, Princess. Your parents were good people; they always paid their wages, even if they were struggling." He expressed.

I swallowed uncomfortably, and looked away. "Thank you for telling me that. It's definitely comforting to here that, especially today. " I said nodding slightly, the corners of my mouth turning up in a petit smile.

"Well, I must be off, I have wages to collect. Have a good day Princess." He said avoiding the awkwardness, and smiled at me before walking passed.

It took a few seconds for it to click, but I finally understood Liam's riddle. "Collects wages..." I whispered to myself, smiling. "Mr Baxter, wait!" I called, turning to face after him.

Mr Baxter turned around, and I walked briskly towards him. "Yes Princess?" he asked as I reached him.

"I have something to show you." I smiled, and lifted my skirt so it was just above my ankle, and the delicate silver charm was shining brightly.

Mr Baxter smirked, looking back up at me. "Your brothers are very kind. I hope you have a very happy birthday." He said grabbing a small package that was wrapped inside a moss green coloured bag from inside his coat, and handed it to me. I took it from his warm hands, and thanked him, before he walked off.

I slung the bag over my shoulder, and looked at the rectangular package in my hands. It was wrapped in wax paper, and I tore it open excitedly. In a small wooden chest I found five books stacked neatly inside, with their titles facing up. A small card was tucked into the side.

Dear Beka,

Ally and I had a lot of trouble putting the finishing touches to your gift. Right now you're looking at five of William Shakespeare's most popular plays, but the surprise lies within the pages.

A curious frown came across my face as I opened the front cover to Romeo and Juliet. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It just looked like it was an ordinary book, until I turned to the title page. A gasp left my lips, my jaw swung open, and my whole body froze.

Under the title was the neat signature of William Shakespeare. I looked back at the note, continuing reading excitedly.

Ally and I sent a letter to William, and he agreed to sign them just for your birthday. We hope you love it as much as we do, and someday you'll be able to read them to your children.

Lots of Love,

Zayn and Ally

I sighed adoringly, and hugged the chest of books to me happily, before putting the rest of the notes from the boys inside, and closing the lid. I slipped it in the bag, and found the next riddle at the bottom.

On this day we will recognize,

That you, sister dear, must find,

The answers to riddles you will seek.

To find your surprise,

Go to the place where the fans girls shriek.

It is there that you'll find a lady with a red coat,

She is the one you want the most.

This lady holds something that you'll be surprised by,

It's from Harry and Marina, who knows what you'll find?

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Hey Guys,

Its been a while since I've updated, but I thought 'hey I have time, why not update now?' So I did! Let me know if you're liking the scavenger hunt so far.

Love Always,

Beka

xoxo