Dark Side

Dark Side

     It was the last day of summer. My family just had our last hoorah, playing with sparklers outside; now, it was time for bed. I ran upstairs with my sisters and we got dressed into our pajamas. I went to the bathroom to get a quick shower, lathering my tanned and slightly burned body with soap. When I got out, quickly changed and then brushed my teeth before leaving to my bedroom.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Eddie asks when I turn to go to bed.

I smiled and walked towards him and his outstretched arms. Squeezing me tight, I hugged him and said,"Goodnight."

"I love you," he replies and I run off to bed, nervous for school the next day.

     I say goodnight to my sisters, and then I climb into my bed, pulling my warm blankets up and over my body. Comfortable and relaxed, I soon drift off into a deep sleep. I dreamed of that amazing summer, all the fun I had, and how much I was gonna miss it. That night, I fell asleep with a smile on my face. However, the peacefully night and my beautiful dreams didn't last for long. It felt like I had only closed my eyes a minute before I heard a pounding on my door and Eddie's voice saying,"Get up now; there's someone in our house."

     I go into a shock, but Eddie gives me no time to think because he grabs my arm and leads me out with the rest of my sisters. I see pure panic on their faces and Dallas is holding Maddie's mouth because she's crying. Eddie tries to move us down the hall but we hear the floor creak downstairs; the intruder is on the move.

"I know you're in here!" the man yells.

Eddie quickly moves us into a closest,"Sssh, hide in here."

     He then closes the door on us and I huddle together with Dallas and Maddie. Dallas reaches for a bat in the closet and holds it firm. Footsteps continue to creek up the stairs and then it stops.

"What do you want?" we hear Eddie's voice boom.

"Actually, it's you," he says with a cynical laugh.

     We then hear the noise of a gun go off and the sound of a body hit the floor. Maddie lets out a scream and hits rhe door open a little; luckilu, Dallas' hand was still on Maddie's mouth so her voice was muffled. Through the crack of the closet door, we see the stranger's foot push Eddie's face to the side.

"Sleep soundly and don't miss me too much. This isn't the last you'll see of me."

     He then runs down our stairs and lets off one more shoot of his pistol before he slams our front door shut.

"Dad!" Maddie cries out.

     We open the closet door and look at his body, blood gushing from his side.

"Demi, call 911," Dallas orders, checking Eddie for a pulse and applying pressure to his side.

I quickly rush to the phone.

"Please don't die," I mutter under my breath.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My dad, he's been shot..someone broke into our house and shot him in the side...please come fast!" I stutter.

"Paramedics are on their way. Remain calm and apply pressure to the wound. Is he breathing?"

     I look to Dallas and notice the tears streaming down her face.

"He's fading out," she says to me.

     I relay the information to the lady on the phone. Then, I look to Dallas and crouch down by Eddie.

"Stay with us," Dallas says.

"I...need...to tell you...something," he chokes out.

"What? We're listening?" I say quickly, holding up his head.

"The man..his name..is..," and then his head falls back and his body relaxes and his eyes close.

"Dad?" I say as tears begin to overwhelm me. There's still no response and Dallas checks his pulse.

"He's gone," she whispers.

Maddie begins to cry heavily saying,"Daddy! No daddy, come back!"

     Dallas pulls maddie into her chest with her bloody hands, and I lay my head on Dallas' shoulder as we all cry, tears streaming from our faces.

     The door bursts open and someone calls out,"Paramedics! Where are you?" and their footsteps come up the stairs.

     They immediately crouch down by Eddie to try to patch up his wound.

     Dallas simply shakes her head saying,"He's gone."

     One of the paramedics put him on a stretcher and pulls the blanket over him.

     The other comes over to comfort us saying,"It's all gonna be okay...come here."

     We then follow him down the stairs and into his car in a slow and miserable ride to the police station on that dark and dreary night.

End of Chapter 1. Let me know what you think in the comments :) I won't post more until there is a comment and a vote