Chapter 21 Part 3

When I regained consciousness, I awoke to the sound of the closet door being slammed open.

"Get up!" I hear Wilmer grunt.

I slowly begin to open my eyes, still feeling very worn out and not very stable. My vision faded in and out, sometimes blurry, sometimes clear. But I could hear everything quite clearly. Fully awake, I push myself up onto my elbows and forearms, not being able to sit up without support.

"Are you ready to talk now? he says impatiently.

"Wilmer, I told you, I can't help you," I say weakly, afraid of how he might react.

Wilmer crouches down next to me and leans in to close proximity with my face.

"Now you're going to listen to me. I don't want to hear you say that response again. I want a clear answer. So, I'll ask you one last time, how do you open the vault?"

Although Wilmer spoke in a soft voice, I could tell he was anything but relaxed. His tone indicated that it took all the strength within him not to flip out and yell. I was on his last nerve, but there was nothing I could do to change it.

Deep down, even though I couldn't help him, I knew I could tell Wilmer how to open the vault. I could end all this torture right now, and just tell him how to do it. But, my heart wouldn't let me. I knew if I told him, I'd feel extreme shame and guilt. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. So, I remained silent.

"I don't know."

Three simple words was all it took for Wilmer to snap. Enraged, he kicked my thigh, pushing the bullet deeper into my flesh. The tourniquet loosened, and blood began to pour out once again. However, Wilmer gave me little time to think about my leg as he grabbed the roots of my hair and slammed my head into the cement.

"I know you know something! I can see it in your eyes! Your hiding something from me, Demi! Tell me!" he screams, bashing my head around.

"Ow! Ah! I don't-ow!-know! Ah, stop! Please! Ow-I don't-ugh-know anything! Please! Just let me go!" I cry out.

But it's no use, the damage had already been done. Excruciating pain radiated from my leg and now my head, making my mind focus solely on the pain.

"You're not leaving until you answer me truthfully!" Wilmer tells back.

Just then, I hear a voice outside yell,"Hello? Anyone in here?" proceeded by a knocking on the door.

Wilmer freezes immediately and gives me a stern look. Then, he pulls out his gun, looking at it before looking back at me. He was warning me, I knew it. But what he didn't seem to realize is how much more pleasant death would be than continuing this torture.

"Help! In he-" I begin to scream. But as I do so, Wilmer covers my mouth with his hand.

"Hello? Open this door before I use force!" the voice yells again.

Wilmer continues to hold my mouth as I try to yell. But my resistance was fought back with painfully jabs in the stomach. Wilmer continued to beat me, slamming fist after fist until I grew limp.

Then, we heard a giant thud as the door was broken down. It appeared the man wasnt alone, as several footsteps followed.

"Where are you?!" he calls out.

"Aww, Demi, c'mon. Demi!" Wilmer sobs, starting to cradle me in his arms.

I don't know what came over him, but Wilmer began trying to nurse me as tears filled his eyes. I couldn't respond, not to him, not to the man. I just kept spitting out blood.

"Shh, Demi, it's okay. Please be okay."

Wilmer tucks my hair away from my face and continues to cradle me.

"Hello! Police are here! Surrender now!"

"It's gonna be okay. I love you. It's okay."

"Step away from the girl! Hands up! You're under arrest!"

I look up to see a police officer standing at the doorway with a gun pointed at Wilmer. Behind him appear to be more officers, along with paramedics, and..Joe?

"It's gonna be okay. I love you. I'm sorry. I love you so much," Wilmer continues to sob, completely ignoring the officer.

"I said step away from the girl!"

A few more seconds pass before the officer comes over with the rest of his team and pulls Wilmer off me. Then, they force him into a kneeling position so that they can properly handcuff him.

After reading his Miranda rights, the officers escort Wilmer outside. Immediately, the paramedics rush to my side, along with the familiar face of Joe.

"Demi!" Joe says, grasping my hand. I look up into his brown eyes and see that tears begin to fill them, creating a certain sparkle.

"Joe, I'm scared," I croak, spitting blood everywhere as I do.

"It's okay now. You're safe. He can't hurt you anymore."

Joe pulls me into a hug and tenderly kisses the top of my head, bringing me a sense of warmth and comfort.

The paramedics lay out a stretcher and open the Velcro.

"I think it'd be best if we carried you in," one of them says to me.

"We're just going to lift you onto the stretcher, okay?" explains another.

With the help of Joe, the two men scoop me up and lay me on the stretcher and strap me in. Swiftly, they pull me out of the closet, down the hall, and out the door and up the stairs to the ambulance. Joe comes too, riding in the back of the ambulance car with me.

The paramedic begins to do routine checks for my eyes and blood pressure. Then, he begins to stick me with things and hook me up to various other machines. After we're all settled, I begin to cry again, silently.

"What's wrong, Dem?" Joe says with concern, grasping my hand in his.

"I'm scared. I can't do this. It's all my fault. I wasnt brave enough. It hurts," I let out all at once.

"Demi, I'm here. I told you I would come for you. You were so brave and you did everything you could. If it weren't for your bravery, we would've never been able to find you. You're safe now. Everything is going to be okay. I'll never leave you. You're safe."

Joe held my hand the rest of the ride to the hospital. I lay there in a meditative state, helpless and in pain, listening to the sound of the sirens wail. The paramedic continued to work on me, but I barely noticed him. All I could see was Joe; and that's when I knew I was going to be okay.

I thought, with all the support y'all have been giving me, you deserved a longer post. I hope this was worth the wait. Please let me know why you think in the comments; I need 10 before I continue. I really do appreciate all the feedback, so thanks 💜