Chapter 28

I must've fallen asleep because when I wake up the next morning, I find myself alone with Madison curled up by my side in a deep sleep; however, Joe and Dallas are gone. The light is shining through my windows with the blinds slightly cracked, and I can hear the birds chirping away. Someone must've come in already this morning, because they were shut last night and all of my trash has been taken care of with new water bottles placed on my side table. After taking a minute to wake up, I scoot up in my bed, careful not to wake Maddie, and pick up my phone and a water bottle off the side table. As I take a sip, I unlock my phone and find that there is a new message: 'Hey, gimpy! I went with Joe to the food court to get some breakfast. If you're awake before we get back, that's where we are. We'll get the doctor on the way back, so don't even worry about that unless it's an emergency. Love you!'

I send her a quick text back and put my phone to the side, taking another sip as I breathe deeply. Madison rolls over, her head landing on my stomach. I comb my fingers through her bed head, noticing she is in her clothes from the day before; I guess I wasn't the only one who fell asleep early.

Soon, Madison jolts up with the sound of the door swinging open. Dallas came skipping in first with a huge smile on her face, followed by Joe and Dr. Andrews, who were also smiling.

"What are you guys up to?" I ask, starting to become suspicious.

Without even bothering to take a seat, Dr. Andrews says,"The test results came back."

"And..." I urge on.

"Oh, just tell her!" Dallas exclaims.

Eager eyes all turn towards me, awaiting my reaction.

"The surgery went as planned. We examined all areas of trauma, and they are healing up quite nicely. You will need to go to physical therapy, but we have no further testing or operations that need to be performed."

I think about what she just said for a minute before I respond,"Wait...Does that mean I can go home?"

"We have kept you the needed time for recovery. Now, you won't be doing much physical activity outside of your therapy appointments, but it is safe for you to go home as long as you have someone there to watch over you. We'll prescribe you some medicine to help with the pain, and then you'll be on your way."

"I can take care of her!" Maddie exclaims, raising her hand in the air as if to volunteer.

"You can help me," Joe says, crouching over by Maddie's side, winking at me as he says it.

"Yay!"

The doctor turns to Dallas, saying,"Here is the form for her prescription. Just go to the front desk on your way out, and we'll schedule her therapy appointments there. I'll have a nurse by in a few minutes with a wheelchair for you all to keep. I don't want her walking on that leg just yet."

Dallas nods, leaving the doctor to make his way out the door and down the hall. As soon as the door clicks shut, everyone lets out their excitement. Dallas is jumping up and down, squeezing with a huge smile on her face. Joe holds me gently, still aware of my fragile frame, and kisses my forehead saying,"It's our time now."

And then, amongst all of us yelling and rejoicing is Maddie, poking at my shoulder for attention. "Dem-i," she whined, yanking at my gown.

I turn my head towards her, keeping the huge smile on my face and grasping her hands,"What Maddie?"

"When do we get to go home?"

Before I get the chance to answer her, the door swings open and in pops a nurse with the wheelchair. "Whenever you're ready," she answers, smiling at Maddie and then to the rest of us.