Chapter 17 Part 1

"Demi, I know Wilmer's a jerk, but that's a pretty strong accusation, don't you think?" Joe says as I shut the chest.

"I know it's him. It's got to be him. Who else could it be? No one else has been snooping around my house."

We both stand up and stare at each other in silence. Joe puts his hands on his face and let's out a huge sigh.

"Demi, just like how he has no evidence against you, you have no evidence against him. I'll tell you what, I'll go home and look for your picture. If I find it, we can blame him and I'll call the cops to arrest him for burgalry. Until then, lets assumed he's innocent."

"Fine, you're right...But can you look for it tonight? I can't stand waiting any longer. This whole thing is creeping me out."

"Of course. I'll call you right away. Let's get out of here."

Joe opens the latch and lowers himself down into my room. I follow after him, falling into his arms. We stand there for a moment on my bed, his arms around my waist and mine around his neck. He pulls me closer for a hug and then plants a kiss on my head.

"Don't stress about this. Everything's gonna be okay. We're gonna find out who's up to all this, alright?"

"I'll try. We better get going though. Want me to walk you home?"

"I think it's be best if you stay here on the off chance that my brother's home."

Hopping off the bed, I lead Joe to the front door to say goodbye.

"I'll call you as soon as I get there," Joe says, cupping my cheeks with his hands.

"Love you," I say with a smile.

He plants a kiss on u lips before heading out the door. Watching him jog away, I silently say a prayer for our safety, for everything to be okay. Someone has been in our house, and who knows what else was stolen besides the picture. I can think of at least two things: our privacy and safety of mind. It wasnt my own life and privacy that I was concerned about, for that had already been ruined. What troubled me was what could happen to Maddie, and just the thought of it disturbed me. So I prayed that Joe would figure it out, and that I would be brave enough to keep us safe.