Chapter 21 Part 1

Wilmer stands up and walks to the corner of the room near a stack of boxes, and other various objects. After pushing things aside and throwing boxes every which way, an object soon begins to appear. Underneath the massive heap, Wilmer was hiding Eddie's vault. From what I could gather from where I was sitting, it appeared to be about 3 feet in height, maybe four in depth. It was pretty solid, and appeared to be built into the wall; and from the glow of the flickering street lights, it seemed to be metallic blue in colour. Grabbing an envelope, Wilmer returns to his chair. Then, he hands me the paper inside of it.

"This is your first clue as to your purpose here. Read it out loud. Then tell me what you think it means," Wilmer says, folding his hands that rested on his knees.

I take the paper in my hand and hold it up to my face, squinting to read it in the dim lighting. Finally, I am able to make out the crypt,"Here remains the last of my treasure. To be given to my heirs. From blood line does this wealth measure. A worthy gift to the one who shares. So upon this disk you shall prove your validity. Or otherwise unfit. Back away now if you face uncertainty. If not, let your blood drip."

A moment of silence passes before any words are spoken. I stare at the page, trying to process what I just read. Blood? Why blood? Blood of the heir? Bloodline? And then it clicks. I know why Wilmer wants me here; he wants me for my blood. Only a true heir can unlock the safe, and the blood of the heir is the key. Suddenly, my thoughts are interrupted by the sound of Wilmer's voice.

"So? What do you think?"

I glance up at him before saying," It says only a true heir can open the safe... You need my blood to unlock it... And that's why you've brought me here."

"Very smart, Demi. That's exactly it. Now follow me so we can get this over with."

Wilmer then gets up and walks over to the safe. I, however, remain seated.

"I can't help you though," I say to him.

Immediately, he spins around and marches over to me. Anger taking over him, he says to me with a clenched jaw,"Hm? What'd you just say to me?"

"I said I can't help you."

As soon as I said t, I regretted those words ever slipped from my mouth. Confirmation of my words sent Wilmer's anger to a new level, and there was no going back. Immediately, he seized the back of my chair and tilted me backwards, getting in close proximity to my face.

"You're gonna do what I tell you to do, whether you like it or not. Now cooperate with me, or I'll just send this bullet straight through your head. Either way, I'm getting your blood, and I'm getting your money. You alone get to decide your fate. Now get over here," he spits in my face.

However, I don't follow him. Instead, Wilmer drags me by the hair to the vault, leaving the chair to collapse on the floor.

"Give me your hand!"

Once again, Wilmer doesn't give me the chance to obey; he just grabs my hand and grabs my pointer finger. Then, he hits a button on the vault that sends out a stick, which looks much like one used for diabetics. He then shoves my finger into the prick, causing blood to pour out.

A screen lights up on the vault and it says,"Processing...Pleas wait."

I take this time to look up at Wilmer, and read into his facial expression. All I could see was pure joy and anticipation. He was getting what he wanted. Or maybe not after all...

"Error! Access denied!" the screen flashed, echoing the words aloud.

Wilmer comes his fingers through his hair in total frustration.

"What?! Impossible! You! It's all your fault! You rigged it! You cheated! What'd you do?!"

"I didn't do anything. I can't do anything."

"No, don't lie to me! You told me you wouldn't help me! You did this on purpose! Now tell me what you did before I shoot!"

Wilmer takes the gun out of his belt and loads it, pointing it right at my temple.

"I never said I wouldn't help you, I said I couldn't," I say nervously, trying to remain calm.

"That's it!" Wilmer rages.

Then, he pulls the trigger and I feel pressure in my thigh. Soon, I feel the warm blood begin to pour out, soaking my leg. I grip it right, writhing in agony.

"Tell me how to open it! Now!"

He kicks me where the bullet hit, sending another wave of pain through my body.

"Ah! Wilmer s-stop! I c-can't help you! I d-d-don't k-know how! Please!" I cry out for mercy.

"Fine, have it your way. You wanna play this game? We'll play this game!"

10 comments before I continue 💜 What do y'all think so far? Any predictions? Let me know in the comments :)