Chapter 27 Part 1

"Demi, wake up."

I feel someone nudge my shoulder, shaking me awake. With the flicker of my eyes, I see a doctor by my side.

"Hey, Demi. Sorry to wake you, but we need to take you in for your MRI. I'm just going to lift you into this wheelchair, okay?"

I give a nod, trying to process everything. Was it all a dream? It seemed as if I had just closed my eyes for a minute before the doctor woke me up. How much time had passed? It couldn't have been more than an hour; at least, I don't think it could.

After the doctor sits me into the wheelchair, we are off, moving at a fairly fast pace through the halls. As we pass through, I see various things: nurses racing stretchers amongst hallways, frantic parents crying and screaming, dying patients without the slightest bit of fighting energy, even happy families leaving the hospital. And then there's me, going in for my next round of testing, wondering if there will be a time in the near future where my life is drama free. Still, I was grateful I wasn't that man on the stretcher, covered in his own blood; it could always be worse. But all the same, I wish I was that happy family leaving this place, leaving it all behind so that I could be free again. Then again, are we ever really free?

We round the corner, and that's when we enter a hallway full of testing rooms. A technician comes to the second door on the left and holds the door open as the doctor and I pass through.

"We need a full body scan, testing to see the neurological damage and the trauma caused by bullet wounds," my doctor instructs.

"Alright, I'll have it all done within the hour," the technician says.

"Thank you. See you later, Demi," and with that, he leaves.

"Let's see here. First, I'm going to need to give you a shot. The medicine inside will help your bones light up for the test," she starts off, wiping my arm with a cloth and then pushing the shot in. It didn't hurt too bad, more pressure than anything else. Throwing the shot away in the disposal, she continues,"Do you have any jewelry on? It can't go through the machine, is why I ask. You'll get it back right after the testing is over."

I glance down at my hand for the first time since I woke up; and sure enough, the ring was there. I smile, knowing it wasn't just a dream, and respond,"oh, yeah," handing her the ring.

"Aww, and who have this to you? Someone special?" she smiles, placing the ring in a plastic tray.

"My boyfriend, Joe, just this morning, actually," I gush.

The technician walks behind me and pushes the wheelchair in closer to the machine. Then, she comes back around in front of me saying,"That's so cute. Sounds like he's a great guy. Alright, now I'm going to lift you up onto here and you'll just lay down with your arms going out straight past your head, okay?"

"Alright."

I'm hoisted up onto the bed part of the machine, my legs stuck in the tube while my head was still slightly out. Though I was not in completely, the size of the machine was enough to make anyone feel claustrophobic. It was so big and thick, yet so narrow, even for someone as small as myself. I close my eyes for a second, trying not to think too hard about it.

"Okay, when I leave the room, I'm going to turn on the machine and we'll get started. Just stay still and the machine will rotate up your body. This will take a while, so just relax. There's going to be points during the test when I'm going to have to ask you to hold your breath, so stay awake, okay?"

"Okay," I sigh, wanting to leave the testing room already.

Not allowed to move at all, I glance as far as my eyes can see to watch the technician walk out into the room. I see her bend over to click a few buttons, and that's when the machine turns on, making a loud noise. On the screen above, I can see some of the imaging the scan is creating, starting at my feet. The whole image is scattered with different colours, which mean absolutely nothing to me, but clearly it's important. I continue to stare at the screen as long as I can, not wanting to look at the machine at all because I know it'll make me nauseous. Soon, however, my view of the screen starts to be diminished as the rotation moves up my body. Now, I just stare at the ceiling, watching the machine creep up my body.

"Alright, hold your breath until I say stop," I hear the technician say.

I take a deep breath, hearing the machine circle my body three times.

"And stop."

I breathe in again, wondering how much time has passed since I've been in this machine. I begin to lose feeling in my arms, as they've been above my head all this time. All I want to do is cuddle up in a ball and sleep.

"Hold it again."

Once more, I hold my breath and the machine creeps closer up my chest. I start to feel increasingly uncomfortable as I am no longer able to see the ceiling. Instead of keeping my eyes off the machine, I close them, telling myself to stay awake.

"And breathe."

At this point, I know I'm completely inside the machine as the light disappears and the sound gets louder. Despite this being the climax of my discomfort, I know it can't be too much longer because my head is the last part of my body that needs to be scanned.

"Deep breath in and hold."

As I hold my breath for the final time, I pray to God the results come back fine. I don't want to be stuck in this place any longer than I have to be.

"And out. Good job."

Moments later, the buzz of the machine is silenced and everything turns off. The bed I was laying on slides out and I can see the light once again.

"You're all set. Let me just call Dr. Andrews down and we'll have you out and on your way," the technician smiles, lifting me out and onto the wheelchair.

"Thank you," I smile, letting out a sigh of relief.

"Dr. Andrews, testing is complete for Ms. Demi Lovato," she says into her mic.

"Oh, I almost forgot," the technician heads back into the control room, grabbing the plastic tray,"your ring."

"Oh, thank you. Joe would kill me if I lost this," I smile, glad to have the ring back on my finger.

As I look up from admiring my ring, the door opens and in comes my nurse.

"Hey, Demi. You ready to head back to your room? You have visitors," she smiles.

"Definitely," I boast a huge grin, hoping my whole family is there.

Walking behind me to push the wheelchair, she says with a chuckle,"Alright, let's go."

"Have a great day," the technician calls out, holding open the door for us."

"Thank you," I yell back, grateful to be in such great hands during my time spent here.

"Who's there?" I ask as we turn through the halls.

"Oh, you'll see soon enough. And look, here we are," and we turn the corner into the hall my room is located.

The nurse leaves me in the wheelchair outside my door as she knocks on the door, all smiles.

"What're you up to?" I laugh, becoming suspicious.

"Oh, I can't take it any longer. Let's just go," she says, and I'm wheeled into the room.

"Surprise!"

And what I saw shocked me more than anything I had seen in my life. Nothing even in this past week could compare. I stopped breathing, trying to comprehend the sight I had just seen.

"Corinne?"

Because of all your comments and votes, I decided to add something into the ending I wasn't planning on doing and extend it a little. I know I haven't been updating as frequently, but please leave me feedback in the comments. I read it all and it's much appreciated. Thanks guys 💜