Chapter 23 Part 2

"Where's Maddie?" I mouth to both of them.

Joe catches my eyes first, and I notice him motioning his head to the window on the side of the room. Right next to the door and behind the window stood Maddie, peering deeply into the room. Her little hands were plastered against the window, and her face was smoothed up as close as she could get it.

"Doctor wouldn't let her in since she's under the age of 16 and the flu's going around. We can't have you getting sick."

"Please-please..please get-" I try to say but the words just won't come out.

"Here, let me get you something to write on."

Joe quickly scrambles to a drawer and pulls out a pad and pen. Handing it to me, Joe and Dallas both stare, eager to learn what I have to say. I quickly scrawl down my message with the sloppiest writing ever, but I couldn't help it when I had the greatest headache and major pain. I hand the note to Joe, and he reads it aloud.

"Please get the doctor and let her in. I need to see her and hold her close."

Dallas and Joe both stare at one another, appearing to be looking for approval.

"Go, just go get him. She deserves to see her sister. The doctor told us to get him anyway once she wakes up," Dallas says to him.

Joe gets up out of his chair, but he hesitates before opening the door, turning back to look at Dallas.

"What if something happens while I'm-"

"Joe, just go. I'm fine. I have everything under control. I am her big sister, aren't I?"

I look at Joe and see him begin to rebuttal, but he quickly stops himself, seeing it's no use. Then, he turns around and heads out the door. Through the window, I see him take Maddie by the hand and walk down the halls. He whispers something in her ear, causing Maddie to jump up in the air with joy. A huge smile spreads across her face, and I smile too. Our family was slowly being pieced back together; and I now considered Joe part of that family too.

"So, how are you feeling?"

Dallas angles her body towards me and slides her chair in closer. Leaning in towards me, she brushes a strand of hair out of my eyes.

I take the pad of paper and begin to write, but my hand begins to shake. The words all appear blurry and I can't make out a thing. Feeling overwhelmed, I put the pad beside me and just look at her. With reassurance, Dallas holds my hand in hers and gentle strokes the too of my hand with her thumb.

"It's okay, what is it?"

I look into her eyes, and soon she becomes blurry too. Blurry not from concentration, but from the tears that filled my eyes. I simply shake my head and begin to cry, not able to control it anymore. Everything was so overwhelming, there was nothing I could process, and I didn't even know where to begin. Dallas stood up and slowly scooted onto my bed. Once in place, she pulled me into her arms and I just sobbed on her shoulder.

"It's okay. Let it all out. I'm here. You're all safe now."

The comforting touch of Dallas' hand rubbing my back and giving me a hug made me feel more at home. Hospitals were a place of pain and death and the unknown. With Dallas being there, familiarity was roughy back. It had been so long since I had time to just sit and be with Dallas. Between the two of us, this much emotion and care hasn't been felt in a while.

Suddenly, our moment of rekindling was broken up by the knocking of the door by the doctor.

"Come in!" Dallas calls out, slowly getting off the bed.