Chapter 6

"Almost ready? We're leaving in 15 minutes," Dallas calls out, knocking on the door.

"Yeah, just a minute," I respond, pulling up the zipper to my dress.

     I then turn to the mirror, fixing my hair and smoothing out my black dress. When I was finally satisfied with my appearance, I picked up my black heels and opened my bedroom door, running down the stairs and out the door.

     After I jump into the passenger seat, Dallas turns around saying,"Everyone set?"

"Yeah, let's go," and we pull out of the drive.

     Once we got closer to the church, we began to see several cars with black flags; there were so many people here for Eddie. He may not have been worldwide known, but Eddie was a local celebrity. It all started back when he got his first job after college at a bank. A robber came in with a gun and started shooting people; but Eddie managed to lead them all out to safety and be successfully captured the gunman. Then, after Dallas was born, he saved people his apartment complex from a raging fire, pulling out an old lady, an infant, two children, and their mother. After saving so many people, Eddie became known as a hero of sorts. The news of his death, obviously, shocked everyone. Now, instead of doing the saving, he was the one in need of help; but no one did. So, I guess because of his heroic deeds, it wasnt surprising that so many people were coming to his funeral. But, in the same token, I was shocked that none of them seemed to want to help us, his children. We were left to fend for ourselves.

     The funeral was beautiful, although quite ordinary. A few people spoke of the times Eddie had helped him, and we even got to hear stories from the people he rescued. And then, Joe went up to speak.

     "I never knew Eddie personally, but I owe him everything. In the fire of 2001, Eddie saved my mother, myself, and my brother. He was so gentle and caring, encouraging me every bit of the way to be brave; he made me feel safe. If it weren't for him...I wouldn't be here today...."

     Shortly after his speech, the funeral ended and we proceeded to the burial. Eddie's oak-stained casket rested above the ground, and we three sisters each put a white rose on top as the priest said his last words. He was then lowered down, returning to the earth from which he was born, never to be seen again. Slowly, people left until only a small few remained; Joe was one of those people. I said nothing, only praying to God, talking to Eddie. I was trying so desperately to hold the emotion in, but I couldn't seem to take it anymore.

"Sshh, it's okay, I've got you," Joe says, as I turn to him for a hug. We had been friends for many years, but I had never been so vulnerable in front of him.

"Was that true? Hat you said back there in your speech?" I asked him.

"Every word," he replied, looking me in the eyes as I pulled back and wiped my tears. I nod my head and then take one last look at the grave.

"I love you," I said in my head, knowing Eddie would hear me. We then left to the cars, going back home.

"Hey, uh, could you actually come over today?" I ask, not wanting to be left alone to my thoughts. "Yeah, of course. I'll just get changed out of this and then I'll be over."

"See you soon," I say and then I close the door of the car.