Chapter 16

"Suspect. I am a suspect. Although there's no hard evidence, everything they have discovered concerning the case leads to me. I am the number one suspect, and Wilmer wants to make sure I am caught," I start off.

"They can't arrest you until they have solid evidence, which is never gonna happen," Joe reassures as we continue to meander along.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. I didn't even think I could be a suspect, let alone the number one target. It seems like he's trying to get everything he can to use against me on this, and I have no clue why..." my voice trails off.

Joe and I continue to walk as we reach the path to the park. It's probably safer there than going to either of our houses, and I don't want to be photographed any more.

"Try not to focus on it, Demi. They can't convict you. I'll defend you all the way through, okay?"

At that, we reach the park and we both take a seat on the bench. Hand in hand, Joe pulls something out of his bag.

"So, I turned in those application forms you gave me for the job at the fro yo place, and you've been accepted. You can start with me tomorrow, if you want."

Smiling, I take the note addressed to me, confirming my application. Although I won't be making much, at least I will be able to help Dallas and our family out some.

"This is great! Probably the best thing that's happened to me since I got you back," I smile, and I hug him close.

"I'll never leave you again. That was the worst decision of my life. And I won't let my brother hurt you; we'll find the real murderer, don't worry. Alright, enough with being serious; let's go play!"

"Play? What do you mean? We're not four anymore, Joe."

"Doesn't mean you can't have fun. Let's go!"

He takes my hand and pulls me towards the playground, picking me up onto the swing. Soon, I felt his tough hands on my small back and I was flying high into the skies.

"Joe, this is so weird! Stop!" I giggle, feeling young again.

After all the drama that's occurred with Eddie's death, financial issues, and now this court case, I felt like I had aged 30 years. But when I was with Joe, a sense of childhood freedom would come over me. He always knew when to be serious, but also when he needed to snap me out of my misery and show me how to have fun again. It may sound strange, but having that time in the park for him to push me on the swing and act like kids again really lightened a load. In that moment, my stress went away and I was able to relax and have fun. I needed that breather, I needed that break, and I needed Joe.

"I should probably head back now. Maddie should be home by now and I don't want her to worry," I say to Joe, hopping off the swing.

He trails behind me as we start to leave the park.

"You're probably right. But hey, do you mind if I stayed for a while? I'll help with the cooking?" he grins, becoming totally irresistible.

"Fine. I guess I can put you to work," I joke, and we head off to my house.

"Don't go that way, Wilmer expects you to cut through that path. We should enter behind your house. He's not looking for you there," Joe suggests.

We turn around and make a big loop to head the other way. Joe was right, I was becoming predictable, and I really needed to change that. We snuck in through the back and I unlocked the back door.

"Hey, Maddie. It's me, and Joe's here. How was school today?" I call out.

Joe and I set our bags down and head into the kitchen. Sure enough, Maddie was sitting at the counter eating her snack.