Chapter 5

Today was Friday, the last weekday I would be off before returning to school. Maddie and I now were in a steady routine at this point. Rarely seeing Dallas, we were left to ourselves in this big old house. However, we wouldn't be staying here long. Since Dallas' job couldn't afford it, we were planning on moving into a town house. Still, for the time being, it was lonely with just two people occupying a large and silent house that was plagued by bad memories.

     While laying on my bed and listening to music, my phone buzzed with a text message. 'Demi, hey it's Joe. I heard about what happened...I'm so sorry. I would love to talk to you if you want. If not, I have your school work so I wanted to know a good time to drop it off. I hope to hear from you soon and wish to give you my sincerest apologies, Joe' the text message read.

     Someone startles me by jumping on my bed; it's Maddie.

"Who's that?" she questions.

"Oh, just some guy from school."

"Well what did he say?" She inquires, obviously not satisfied with my answer.

"He just wanted to call me and drop off my stuff."

"Well what are you waiting for?! Call him!" she exclaims with a funny expression on her face.

"Fine," I sigh, knowing she won't stop harassing me if I don't call. I scroll through my contacts until I find Joe's number and I click 'call'. Three rings go by and I just about hang up.

"This is silly. He doesn't really want to talk to me; he just said that to be nice," I think to myself. But then, he picks up and a voice says,"Hello?" 

"Hey, Joe. It's Demi I got your text," I start off, not knowing what to say.

"Yeah, Demi. Hey. Look, I'm real sorry about what happened to your dad..."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it."

"If there's anything you ever need, don't hesitate to call me. Anyway, I have your work. When would be a good time to drop it by? I know the funeral is tomorrow because I'll be there...so maybe on Sunday?" he suggests.

"Yeah, that'll be great. Do you know my house number?"

"Yeah, I'll be there. And maybe if you have time I could say and we could hang out-I mean I can teach you the uh stuff we learned," he says, quickly correcting himself to sound cool.

     I let out a little giggle and then say,"yes, that would great. I'd love that."

"Okay, Sunday. I'll see you Sunday."

"Bye, Joe."

"Bye."

I then hang up the phone, a smile still on my face.

"I'd love that," Maddie mimics, flipping her hair with exaggeration.

"Oh, shut up!" I say, pushing her off the bed.

"You're just mad 'cause you know it's true," she sasses back.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Don't you have somewhere better to be?"

"No....you're the only thing remotely fascinating in this house. And that's saying something!" she says, raising her eyebrows.

"Fine, you want to do something fun? Go pick out a game to play," I say, hoping it will shut her up.

"I challenge you to a game of kareoke."

"You're on!" I say back.

Today has been a good day; I'm actually feeling happy for once.