Chapter 7

After we all get dressed, I jog down the stairs to join my sisters. I go to sit on the couch when I realize Dallas is dressed in her uniform, grabbing her purse and keys.

"Hey, sorry, Demi, but I have to go to work. Can you please make dinner for you and Maddie tonight? I won't be back 'til 8," Dallas says to me, looking frantic.

"Yeah, of course. Do you want me to make you anything?," I say, pulling her in for a hug.

"Uhh, no, I'll be fine. Gotta go, love you!" and she flew out the door.

     I gazed out the window, watching her car pull out. I soon zoned out, feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. Then, someone knocks on the window in front of me. At that, I zone back I to consciousness, startled a little; it was Joe. I jumped up and opened the door for him.

"Hey, come in," I say.

"Who's that?" Maddie asks, being nosey as usual.

"No one, just go play with your Barbies or something," I say, and she runs downstairs.

"Sorry about that," I say, closing the door.

"Haha, don't worry about it...For you," he says, pulling out a rose from behind his back.

"Oh, Joe, it's beautiful. Thank you," I say, taking it from him to put in a vase.

"Oo! He gave you a flower!" Maddie teases, standing on the stairs.

"I said to go play! If you don't listen I won't feed you," I threaten.

"You wouldn't," she replies, squinting her eyes.

"Oh yeah? Test me," I say, trying to keep my expression as serious as possible. With that, Maddie ran fast down the stairs.

"Would you seriously not feed her?" Joe says with a laugh, raising his eyebrows.

"No, but she doesn't know that," I laugh.

"Too funny." "She shouldn't bother us anymore," I say, leading him to the couch,"So, where were we?" 

"Well here is all the work we've done so far, and a few papers for your guardian to sign. Honestly, you didn't miss much. It's mainly been review and the teachers aren't requiring you to make this up. I just thought I'd bring it in case you wanted to take a look," Joe says, handing me a bag of papers.

"Great, thanks," I say with a smile, taking the by from him.

"Oh, and I have one more thing for you, if you want to take it," Joe begins.

"And what's that?" He reaches down into his backpack, and pulls out an old, toy, firefighter hat.

"This," he says, handing it to me," is the only toy I escaped the fire with. Your dad, trying to calm me down, put this hat on my head and told me it would make me brave and strong. There were flames surrounding me, so I was very scared; but, for some odd reason, I believed your dad and I had the courage to jump into his arms to be brought out. If it weren't for this, I don't think I'd be here," he tells me. I look at the hat, covered in smoky burn marks and looking quite pathetic. But, it had a story to tell, and that's what made it so beautiful. "It's all yours if you want it," Joe offers, looking me in the eyes.

"Thank you," and tears begin to well up in my eyes. I fall into his familiar arms and hug him tight.

"It's okay. I'll always be there for you; you know that," he says calmingly. "Joe," I say, pulling back and wiping my tears.

"Yeah?"

"Why have you always been here for me? After all this time, you're still here. And I haven't done anything for you that would make me deserve it."

"Demi, you're my friend. You make me happy and I enjoy being around you. Real friends are supposed to be there for each other. We are friends, right?" he explains.

"Yeah, I know. I guess it's just that you're the only friend I've ever had that would treat me so nice."

     He then grabs my hand in his and says,"Then you haven't been around the right kind of people."

     I take his words in for a minute before I say back,"Joe, do you love me?"

"Ever since I first layed eyes on you."

"But just as a friend?" I ask.

     He then pulls my head into his, his fingers combing through my hair, and plants a gentle kiss on my lips. "Does that answer your question?" he says with a smile.

"Maybe," I reply, biting my lip.

"Then maybe this will help clarify," he says, getting off from the couch and taking a knee on the ground.

"What are you doing?" I laugh as he takes my hand into his.

"Demi, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Joe..yes!" and he picks me up in a hug, twirling me around.

"You don't know how long I've been wanting to do that," he smiles, going in for another kiss.

"Eeewww!" Maddie coos on the step.

"That's it! No soup for you!" I joke, quoting Seinfeld, and I turned back to Joe.

     He put his hands on my waist and I put my arms around his neck; everything felt so right.