Chapter 17 Part 2

Once he was out of view, I shut the front door and returned to the kitchen to be with Maddie.

"What happened up there? I heard a lot of yelling," Maddie questions as she hops down from the stool.

"Nothing, just trying to figure something out," I sigh.

I walk with her into the living room, hoping to distract Maddie with a movie.

"Figure what out?" she persists.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Someone's secretive."

"Maddie, just let it go, okay?!"

At that, my voice escalated and my anger let lose in just one string of words. By her expression, I could tell Maddie was taken back by it, but not scared.

"No need to be so cranky! It was just a simple question!" she argues back, standing up from the couch.

I stand up too, sick of all her crap when she's the only one in the family not working. She's the only one who has no stress. All she needs to do is behave and do her school work, and she can't even manage to do that.

"All you do is ask questions! I'm tired of it! Can't you see how exhausted I am?! I don't need your sass! Go to your room!"

"Fine! You know Dad wouldn't have treated me like this!"

Maddie storms off to her room in a rage, but I don't even care to correct her. Those last words she said stung like ice, and I was at a loss for words. She's right, I'm not like Eddie. I'm a horrible parent. The stress has taken over and I just can't handle it anymore. Why am I affected so easily?

I replay our conversation in my head and almost want to go apologize to Maddie. She is only a kid, just a curious kid. I shouldn't have snapped on her, but I couldn't help it. So, I creep up the stairs to her room. However, when I open the door, I see she's passed out on her bed in a deep sleep. I guess that was for the better.

As I walk into my room, I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I take it out quickly and look at the screen; it's Joe. Fumbling to unlock my phone, I hold it to my year and say,"Hello?"

"Demi, it's Joe. You were right. Wilmer has the photo!"

I hope you all are enjoying it so far. In the next chapters, the POV will be changing! Don't forget to vote, fan, and comment! 5 comments before the next post 💜