Chapter 10 Part 3

Moving as fast as my legs could carry me, I darted to my house. My eyes began to water, partially from the harsh winds, and partially from guilt. My vision became so blurry that I almost didn't recognize the road when I came to it, until a car whipped past my face. Finally, I saw it; my house was just across the street. I ran over, slowing down as I got closer. With caution, I approached my driveway, looking for the intruder; he wasn't anywhere to be seen. Immediately, my mind began to race with the possibility that he was already inside! With care, I put my key in the door and turned the nob ever so slowly. Trying to make as little noise as possible, I gently placed my bag on the floor and slid off my shoes. Still, there was no sign of an intruder. Wanting to make sure I was armed in case I was attacked, I took a knife from the kitchen drawer. Then, I crept up the stairs to the closet, which I had told Maddie to hide in. Constantly checking around me to make sure no one was following me, I approached the closet and opened it.

"Aaahhh!" Maddie screams. I quickly grab her mouth with my hand, trying to muffle the noise.

"Are you stupid?! What if he finds us?!" I scold in a whisper.

    When I feel her body relax, I take my hand off. Then, our front window shakes, making a loud noise.

"No! He's coming for us!" she moans. I sigh with relief, realizing what had just happened. Immediately, I get up from out of the closet and urge her to come with me.

"C'mon, you're fine," I say with a chuckle.

"You're walking out in the wide open and you call me the stupid one?!" Maddie exclaims with arms outstretched.

"Maddie, it was just the wind. A storm is coming and the trees are swaying, see?" and I point to the window where the shadow of a tree branch taps it.

"Are you sure?" she asks me, scrunching up her face.

"I'm positive. Now lets go get a snack."