Chapter 26 Part 2

Scattered on the floor were white petals, lightly touching the carpet. They looked freshly plucked, and its aroma filled the air. Each delicate petal lined a path through the hall, leading to one great ring of them. As we passed through, Joe slowed down, letting me take it in.

"Joe...it's beautiful," I say, the words coming out in a whisper.

He continues to wheel me through the petals, and I smile, shutting my eyes and enjoying the moment. Onlooking nurses smile, glancing at the flowers and then back to the two of us; and I just know Joe is smiling too. When we enter the ring, Joe stops and crouches down in front of the wheelchair, placing a crown of flowers on my head.

"Demi," he starts off, taking my hands in his.

"Joe," I smile, rubbing my thumbs over the backs of his hands.

"I know this past year has been really rough on us, but you especially. And I know I haven't always been the best to you, and it hasn't been easy. But what I've learned over the years I've known you, and most importantly over this past year, is that I always find myself coming back to you. I love you. And I don't think any two people have gone through what we have, and not only stayed true, but became closer. I love you, Demi, and I can't see my future without you. I know we're young, and I know we have a long road ahead of us, but I'm willing to go through it all over again if it means I have you. So," with that, Joe pulls put a silver ring, engraved with little flowers on the outside, and holds it up to me,"I'm ready to fight by your side. This is a promise that one day, we'll make us forever. Until then, will you be mine?"

Joe got down on one knee, holding the ring between his thumb and pointer finger. I looked down into his brown eyes as mine filled with years. I felt my hand instinctively reach up to my face to hide the tears, but I stopped myself and just nodded.

"Yes, yes," I say, smiling through the tears.

An overwhelming smile formed on Joe's face and he quickly hugged me, holding me comfortably. Suddenly, he pulled back and said,"Oh, I almost forgot."

With that, Joe slipped the ring onto my finger. I looked at it with admiration, pulling my hand up to my face to examine the intricate design closer.

"The inside says 'until forever, always'."

I'm at a loss for words. Emotion began to overwhelm me and I couldn't believe what just happened. I felt the tears come back as I continued to glance at the ring, and then Joe. Was he really mine? Did he really love me? I didn't need to ask, my heart told me it was true. Still, it was like a miracle had just happened. Among misery, something beautiful happened; and for some reason that made me believe in Him again.

"Joe, it's beautiful...I love you," I say, unable to convey my feelings through simple words.

"Forever?" he asks, kissing me tenderly.

"Always," I smile.

In that moment, I realized it was real; and if it was all just a dream, I didn't want to wake up.

"Want to head back? I'm sure you're hungry," Joe asks.

"Yeah, that would be great. But first, can we take a picture?"

"Why of course, my queen," Joe jokes, and he stands up to ask a nurse to take our picture.

"Of course," she says, taking his phone in hand.

Joe crouches beside me, holding my hand in his, and kissing my cheek. I laugh, looking down at the ring.

"Here you go," the nurse says as Joe takes his phone back.

"Thank you."

Bending back down, Joe shows me the picture. In it, you can see the whole arrangement of flowers in the background, with Joe and I in the middle.

"Perfect," I reply simply.

Standing up to wheel me back, Joe and I passed through the halls once again, leaving the trail of petals behind us. It wasn't even noon yet, but I could honestly say it was the best day of my life.

"When are we telling Dallas and Maddie? Do you know when they're coming?" I asked, suddenly coming back to reality.

I hear Joe chuckle before he says,"They already know, Dem. They've been trying to keep it a secret all this time. But Dallas should be coming for dinner. I told her I'd pick up Maddie once she gets off from school though," Joe says.

We arrive back to my room and Joe opens the door, pushing me in as he closed the door behind him. He didn't even take two steps before my wheelchair was already next to my bed.

"I'm lifting you on three, okay? One, two, three," and with that, I resumed my position of lying on the bed.

Joe pulled the blankets over me before taking a seat beside me.

"You look tired, you should get some rest," he said, moving a piece of hair from my face.

"I'm fine, I-"

"No, really. I'll still be here when you wake up. Get some sleep," he smiles.

"Fine," I surrender, and I close my eyes.

It doesn't take long before I'm passed out, dreaming of happy days with friends and family, and most importantly, love.

Boring, I know. I will try to wrap up this fanfic within a couple of chapters. I love feedback, so please comment!!! 💜