Chapter 25

"Hey guys," I say weakly as a smile forms on my face.

Dallas, Joe, and Maddie all walk in, taking seats around me. Maddie crawled up by my feet again while Dallas pulled up a chair on the left side of my bed, Joe, my right. They all had tender smiles on their faces, but I saw the anxiety in each of their eyes. They were still worried about the unknown, I suppose. It was like they were hiding their true feelings from me so that they wouldn't hurt me further, but all it did was create an awkward feel in the air. They didn't need to hide from me, but they felt like that was the right thing to do.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" Dallas asked, brushing the hair out of my face,"we heard quite the ruckus in here."

I looked to her and that pained smile was still on her face. Anxiously, she awaited my answer, growing increasingly more worried and impatient as the seconds passed by. I gave her a reassuring smile and grasped her hand.

"I'm fine, Dal, really. Y'all need to stop worrying about me. I'm gonna be just fine, you'll see."

Judging by the expression on her face, Dallas was calmed a bit by my words. Knowing her, however, I knew she wasn't done worrying; she was never done worrying. But it was close enough, so I was satisfied.

"So what were you guys doing?" I ask, directing the question mainly to Maddie so she wouldn't feel left out.

"Well, Joe bought me some ice cream," Maddie starts off.

"Really? Was it good? Hey, come sit next to me," I say enthusiastically as my body would allow, lightly tapping a piece of the bed next to me for her to sit.

Immediately, Maddie's face lights up and she crawls beside me. I feel her small, cuddly body nuzzle up against mine. A feel a twinge of pain at first, but it subsides and I soon feel relaxed again. I put my arm around her, holding Maddie close. It felt nice to have her near me again, and I was treasuring the moment. Looking into her eyes, I saw the joy contained within her as she explained what she did with Joe and Dallas for the day. It may sound silly, but that little girl inspired me. So much has happened in less than a year, and it was her own father who was murdered, yet she was the one who remained the most positive and optimistic out of all of us through the whole ordeal. I figured, if my baby sister could do it, why not I?

Her rambling was soon cut short by a knock on the door.

"I'll get it," Joe says as he stands up to open the door.

A nurse enters the doorway, carrying a clipboard in hand. She gives us all a smile as she jots some things on the clipboard.

"Hey, Demi. I just wanted to check up on you. Is anything hurting?"

"I'm a little sore, but nothing hurts too bad."

The nurse scribbled down a few more things on her clipboard before saying,"A little pain is expected. As long as it's not troubling you greatly, you should be fine. Is there anything I can get you?"

"I should be fine. Thank you."

"No problem. Remember to just hit the hall button if you need me," she said to me before turning to the others,"oh, and I thought I'd let you know visiting hours are over. As long as you stay quiet, I'll give you another hour, but make sure you keep it down. I don't want anyone to get in trouble."

With that, the nurse headed out the door and closed it shut behind her. Dallas got up moments later, slinging her purse over her shoulder and stepping up to the side of my bed.

"We should probably get going. I have work tomorrow and Maddie has school. I'll call you, okay?" Dallas says, bending down to hug me.

"Yeah, okay," I sigh, pulling her in close.

I know Dallas had to work extra hard now to pay off all these medical bills on top of everything else, but I didn't want to see her go. I felt my time with her today went away with a blink of an eye, and I hated to see it pass so fast. Reluctantly, I let her go, praying I would see her again soon.

"Say goodnight to Demi, Maddie," Dallas mothered.

"Night, Demi," Maddie sulked, wrapping her arms around me. I held her tight, kissing the top of her head. Before I let her go, I whispered in Maddie's ear,"I love you. Be good for Dallas for me, okay?"

She nodded her little head and looked up at me with her soft, brown eyes, showing tender innocence. I slid my arms down to her wrists and said,"Good. I'll see you later."

"I love you," she said.

"Alright, let's go," Dallas urged, holding out a hand for Maddie.

Maddie held onto Dallas' hand right as she stepped off the bed. Her little feet didn't quite touch the floor, causing her to jump off. Dallas marched her out, and the left waving. With the door having been closed, Joe spoke up.

"Just you and me now," he said with a half smile.

"Yeah, about time, right?"

I missed Joe. The time that had past since I had a real conversation with him, I did not know. All I knew was it had been too long. Now, I was relieved to finally talk to him. 

A moment of silence passed between our responses, like we were delicately choosing the right words to say. It wasn't that we were trying not to offended each other, or that we didn't know what to say, but more that we didn't know what to say first. There was so much on my mind, and undoubtedly his, that there was no clear way to start. But Joe, as always, soon found a way.

"So, what went on in here? You know, with the police?"

I take a deep breath and let out a sigh. I had a feeling he would ask that; I would too if I were him. Nevertheless, it didn't keep me from wishing he wouldn't.

"He asked me what happened after he came and... took me."

I couldn't say his name. His name was filth, wretched, and filled with horrific memories. No, I couldn't manage to say it. But it didn't matter; Joe knew who I meant. We were one and the same; we understood each other.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Do you want to talk about it?"

Those chocolate brown eyes look up at me, showing great sympathy and love. I look down at his hands, and see his twiddling his thumbs. Joe was strong and intelligent, but I could tell this whole situation was getting to him. He wanted to know answers and he wanted to help, but he didn't know how; and that killed him. Through that, I could tell how much he loved me, and that brought great comfort. Not wanting to relive the events again just yet, I shook my head.

"No, I really don't, Joe. It's too much."

I feel a lump form in my throat and I try my hardest not to cry. The pain I felt, physically, mentally, and emotionally, was just too much to handle. I couldn't go there. I so desperately wanted to let out my emotions, but I didn't want to hurt Joe any further.

"Hey, it's okay. You don't need to tell me. Not now, not ever. It's okay, alright? C'm'ere."

Joe scoots himself over and onto my bed, climbing in right next to me. Slipping under the covers, he holds me close to him. I feel his warm body close over mine as he scoops me into a hug. His arms wrap around my stomach, and he holds my hands in his.

Slowly, I begin to let the tears stream down my face; not because of him, not because of the incident, but because of all the emotion that flooded me. Right then and there, I realized how great the journey that lied ahead was. I had major physical trauma I needed to heal from, but major emotional damage I needed to cope with too; it was going to be incredibly difficult. But I realized, with the security I felt in Joe's arms, that I wouldn't be alone on that journey. He would be there with me, every step of the way; and I felt great comfort in that.

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since the last upload; I've been really busy. I hope you enjoyed this part. Please leave me feedback in the comments. As always, I need 10 before I continue. Love you 💜