Chapter 14 Part 2

Having carried down Dallas' tray and cleaned the kitchen, I woke Maddie up and got her ready for school. She seemed to be the only person in the house that was relaxed. That's what the innocence of childhood will do to you, I guess. Making sure her bag was packed and teeth were brushed, I hug and kiss her goodbye.

"Love you! Have fun at school!" and I lock the front door behind her.

"Alright, now I need to get ready," I mutter to myself, running up the stairs for what seemed to be the hundredth time that morning.

      I quickly make sure I have everything necessary for today at school, and then I sling my bag over my shoulder. Before heading downstairs, I make a quick stop to the bathroom to straighten my hair. I check the clock; 10 minutes until Joe will be here. I run my straightener quickly through the last pieces of hair, and then I put my make up on.

"Done," I say, grabbing my bag and running down the stairs once again. I grab the keys off the counter and then take one last look into the mirror before I head out the door. As I walk down the stairs, I look around for Joe.

"Of course, a no show," I say to myself, continuing to walk down the path.

"What was that?" a voice says right behind my ear. My heart rate immediately speeds up and I jump a little.

"Relax, it's me," and I turn to see it's Joe.

      I punch him in the arm and say,"You and your brother both! You guys need to stop doing that! It scares the crap outta me!"

"Sorry. And not just for that; for everything. I didn't mean for everyone to find out. In fact, I don't even know how anyone found out because I didn't tell anyone. But, speaking of my brother, that's what I have to talk to you about," Joe begins, and we reach the crosswalk across from the school.

"And what's that?" I say, clicking the button to cross.

     The light turns green of the person walking and I start to cross, but Joe grabs my arm and leads me towards the trees. "Nobody else can hear this, okay?"

"Yeah, fine. Just spit it out." Joe runs his fingers through his hair and walks in a little circle before speaking, looking conflicted and stressed out.

"Wilmer, my brother, he's up to something. I don't know what, but he's not that innocent. I don't believe a word he says, especially about you. I know you wouldn't cheat on me and I was stupid for listening to him over you. If I could have you back, I would."

"Joe, I-"

     Joe stops me, putting his hands around the upper part of my arm saying,"I'm not done. Just hear me out, okay. Wilmer's been acting really odd lately. The day after the incident, I ran home because I left one of my books there. When I got there, Wilmer was still home. I asked him why he wasnt at work and he got all angry at me and tried to punch me. So, I quickly left and didn't bring it up again. Then, just yesterday night, Wilmer came home late with a pungent odor of alcohol in his breath. I figured work was stressing him out and he just needed a break. But he proceeded to stay up all night on his laptop, diligently at work. I happened to glance at his screen and what I saw disturbed me, which is why I immediately went to my room to call you."

"What was on the screen, Joe?" I say shakily, starting to get nervous.

     He bites his lip and then looks me in the eyes and says,"A girl. Pictures upon pictures of the same girl. Taken of this beautiful girl, unknowingly in her house. Like someone was spying on her. And you know who that girl was?" Joe asks through clenched teeth.

     He looks into my fearful eyes that were beginning to well up in tears, and then so do his. I start to shake my head, knowing where this is going but not wanting to accept it.

"That's right, Demi. They were all of you."