Chapter 13 Part 1

That night, my thoughts kept me up into the darkest hours. As usual, Dallas came home long after Maddie fell asleep, so she quietly crept through the house and up the stairs to her room. On most days, Dallas would quickly brush her teeth and then go to bed. Tonight, however, her light remained on and I heard her muttering to herself. Not able to fall asleep myself, and wanting to know what was going on, I silently walked out of my room and into hers.

"Dallas?" I say with concern as I open her door to find her back bent over her legs, crying. When she hears this, I see Dallas' arms rise to her face to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"Fine. Just go back to bed," she was with a stuffy nose.

     I walk closer to her and sit by her side and say,"Dallas, I know you're not fine. And you didn't awake me; I can't fall asleep. So what's going on?"

     After a moment of silence, Dallas slowly brings her head up as looks me in the eyes,"I was late getting to my night shift because of all this weather and my boss got really mad. I think he's gonna fire me! And we're barely making it along as it is and no one knows who killed Eddie and I have no college education to get me a good job and I just can't take it anymore!"

     As she spills out all of the emotion she had been keeping in since Eddie's death, Dallas' voice becomes faster and louder. Eventually, it turns to hysterics and all she can do is break down and cry. "It's okay," I hush her, pulling her into my arms as she continues to cry.

"I'll get a job. I know just the place and it will help us push through. And soon, we should have this house sold and we'll get the money from that to get an apartment and our monthly bills will go down tremendously. We're gonna make it through this, Dal."

     I then wipe the tears from her eyes and wipe her hair out of her face. Looking down at her outfit, realizing she is still in her uniform, I say,"you look so tired, go rest. Get changed out of this silly old thing and just sleep. I'll wake you up tomorrow and have your breakfast all ready. Stop stressing and just relax; you're home now."

"Thanks, Demi. You're turning out to be a beautiful young lady. Youre the best sister I could have asked for; I love you," she says, starting to stand up.

     I pull her into tight hug and reply,"I love you too." I then sneak back to my bedroom and crawl under my sheets.

     Gazing up at my ceiling, I realize I still can't fall asleep. So, I reach for my phone on my nightstand and press the home button. The screen lights up with a text message; it's from Joe. I slide the unlock button and it says: "Hey, I really need to talk to yo; it's urgent. I believe you and I made a huge mistake! Please call me when you can."