Chapter 18 Part 2

Joe POV

"Maddie! Open up!"

Having reached their house, I begin pounding on the door. I check my clock; it's half past 8.

"Maddie! It's Joe! Please let me in!"

I continue slamming my fist into the door, starting to worry he took Maddie too. Suddenly, I almost stumble and fall because the door is swung open. Sure enough, little Maddie stood behind it.

"What's up?" she asks, letting me in.

"Maddie, I need you to give me Dallas' phone number, okay?"

We both sit down on the living room couch, staring at one another. I pull out my phone and click the call button, ready to punch in her number.

"Why? I thought you wanted to see Demi?"

"I would love to see Demi," I think to myself. I couldn't only imagine what was happening to her now. But I couldn't dwell on that. If I wanted to save her, I needed to focus.

"Maddie, I need Dallas' number. Please just tell me her number."

"Fine, it's on the fridge. Why do you need to call her."

I get up immediately, completely ignoring Maddie's question, and head towards the fridge. On a small post it note was a lost of emergency contacts, and Dallas' was the first on the list. As fast as I could, I dialed the number.

A few rings went by before I heard,"Hello?"

"Dallas, it's Joe. You need to come home fast; it's an emergency."

"Joe, what's going on?"

"It's Demi, Dallas'. She's been kidnapped and I don't know what's gonna happen to her."

"I'm on my way."

Immediately, the phone is hung up. I end the call and then return to the living room, pacing.

"Joe, Demi isn't kidnapped. She's outside talking to Wilmer."

I turn to Maddie, and I see a puzzled expression graced her face. I didn't want her to hear the conversation, but I had to tell her now.

"When did she go outside with Wilmer, Maddie?"

"Ummmm, like an hour ago," she says, squinting one eye.

"And where did they go?"

"Outback. See?"

Maddie walks to the back door and opens it, but stops suddenly. When she turns around, she has a frightened look on her face and tears are forming in her eyes.

"Joe.." she whimpers, and the tears being to flow.

I step outside with Maddie, and I realize her panic. Not only was Demi missing, but one of her shoes was left behind by a splatter of blood.

"It's okay, Maddie. Come here."

I hold her close in my arms and feel the middle of my shirt begin to soak with tears. Walking her inside, I pick her up and sit on the couch with her. I try comforting her as we wait for Dallas and the police to come. Both should be here any minute now.

Sure enough, a few minutes later I hear a knocking at the door. I set Maddie down beside me and stand up.

"Wait right here, okay?" I instruct her as I walk to the door.

"Hi, I'm deputy Aarons. I was notified of a possible kidnapping at this house."

"Yes, come in."

I close the door behind him as he enters the house. Leading him to the back door, he begins asking questions.

"Did you witness the kidnapping?"

"No, sir. But she was last seen with my brother, well half-brother really, on the deck out here."

I swing open the back door and show him the evidence left behind. Immediately, he takes out his walkie-talkie and calls into the station.

"I'm gonna need a team to come down to my current location to do a crime scene report. Over."

He slips his radio back onto his belt and turns to me.

"I've already sent forces out to go look for the girl. Do you have any clue where he could be taking her?"

"No, sir. Not at all."

I didn't even get to finish my sentence before Dallas ran outside.

"Joe, what's hap-" Dallas doesn't finish her thought because the blood catches her eye. Instead, she lets out a scream.

"Oh my God, what's happened?! What'd you do?!" she shrieks, grabbing me by the shoulders.

"Dallas, it's Wilmer. I told you it's Wilmer. I need you to relax. They already have a team on it..."

Dallas' fury turns into poor sadness and she begins to sob.

"Ma'am, I promise you we will find your sister, okay? I want you to relax here with this gentleman until the team arrives. Then I'll take you back to the station to get things sorted out. Alright?"

Reluctantly, Dallas nods her head and comes back inside with me. Together with Maddie, we sit down on the couch and wait once more. All I can do is wonder where Demi is right now, and if she's okay.

7 comments before I post more 💜