Chapter 11

I woke up the knots in my stomach. How was I supposed to go to school now when the only safety I had, Joe, was now against me too. I had no one to flock to, no one to support me. Even at home, I played the role of a parents, as Dallas was rarely home. When tragedy strikes, lives change; and I had to grow up. Trying to show no weakness, I kept my emotions together as I grabbed my clothes and towels for a shower. I turned the nob, making cold water spew out of the shower head. I waited a few minutes for the water to turn warm, but it was still cold. Having no other choice, I step into the ice shower and start scrubbing quickly. Just as I finish lathering my body and hair with soap, the water turns off.

"Perfect," I grunt, realizing they must have turned our water off since we couldn't pay the bills. I wrap a towel around my body and run downstairs to the kitchen to get some water bottles. With hands full, I run back up the stairs and rinse off as I best as I could in the shower. Running late on time, I leave my hair to dry naturally and quickly pull on my band t and black skinny jeans.

"I look like crap," I say to myself as I take one last look in the mirror before grabbing my bag to leave.

"Love you, Maddie!" I call out as I pull the door shut, making sure it's locked. Immediately, the cold autumn air whips through my still-wet hair, causing me to shudder.

"What a great way to start off the day. Could it get any worse," I mutter to myself, trudging along to what I now call my "prison".

     Soon, however, God seems to answer my question by opening the heavens with pouring rain. "Well that's just perfect," I grunt, pulling up the hood to my jacket. Luckily, the school was just across the street, so I jogged through the slippery streets and made my way inside. Just when I thought people were done with staring, every seemed to turn and look at me.

"What did I do this time?" I think to myself.

     Then, I listen into people's conversations and I realize exactly what happened.

"Oh my gosh, did you hear what she did?"

"What a skank!" "Doesn't surprise me."

"Look, the whore is coming by. Don't let it touch you." I heard people say.

     This time, I couldn't take it anymore, and I had no one to turn to; so I headed straight for the bathroom. All I wanted to do was cry in silence.