Chapter 18 Part 1

Joe POV

I close the door softly as I enter our apartment, just in case Wilmer was home. All the lights were off, so I let my guard down and dropped my bag on the floor. However, I couldn't relax. I promised Demi I would look for the picture, so that's what I set off to do.

Our apartment was so small, so there was only so many places it could be. I started off by looking through the papers on the coffee table. Often times, I would come home to Wilmer leaning over it while putting portfolios together on his laptop. I figured, if that's where he did most of his investigation work, that's where it'd be.

After raking through piles upon piles of magazines and newspapers, a small piece of paper slipped to the floor. Having caught my eye, I picked it up. '2005 Family Vacation' it read in cursive handwriting. I flipped it over, and what I saw took me by surprise. Sure enough, it was the bloody photo Demi had described to me. Immediately, I pulled my cell phone out of my pocket and called her.

"Hello?" I heard her soft voice say.

"Demi, it's Joe. You were right. Wilmer has the photo," I began, taking the photo and putting it into my pocket.

"I told you. That creep.." I hear her mutter as her voice trails off.

"Listen, I don't know when he'll be back, so I have to hang up now and call the police before he finds out I knew. Love you, and I'll let you know what happens."

I hang up the phone only to walk into my bedroom and dial 911.

"911, what's your emergency."

"I would like to file a report on breaking and entering, along with theft."

"Where are you reporting this incident from?"

"2 clough place."

"When did this happen? Are you safe?"

"Yes, I'm safe. I'm not sure when this happened, it had to have been in the last couple of months. I never caught sight of the burgalry."

"And do you have any idea who did this?"

"Yes. I know exactly who it is. He's my brother, Wilmer."

"And can I have a last name?"

Shocked that she didn't recognize the name, I reply,"Wilmer. Valderrama? He works at the station, you must know him."

"No, we don't have anyone by the name of Wilmer who works here. But I will have a team come out to investigate."

"Ok..Thankyou," I sigh, and I hang up.

'We don't have anyone by the name of Wilmer who works here...' Her words rung in my head and left my mind racing. What do you mean he doesn't work there? Of course he works there.

I walk to the fridge and pull off the flyer with the secretary's number for the police station. I pull out my phone once again and dial the number. Maybe she'll be able to give me some answers.

"Hello, how may I help you?"

"Hey, I was wandering if you could tell me when Wilmer Valderrama checked in this morning?"

"Sure, hang on just one second."

"Great, thank you..."

A few moments of silence pass as I wait for the lady to find his check in time. In the background, I hear the rustling of paper and flipping of pages. Finally, I hear her voice again.

"I'm sorry, I can't find any Wilmer Valderrama in here."

"Could you possibly give me yesterday's clocking hours?"

"I'm sorry, there's nothing here. I checked the log for the past two weeks and there's nothing here. I'm really sorry."

I take in a deep breath before replying,"it's okay. Thank you anyway," and I hang up the phone.

"What the hell? I knew he was a liar, but I didn't think he'd go this far. Oh my God! He's a creep!" I yell out in fury.

I take my hands through my hair and pace around the room, trying to let off steam. The fact that he creeped on Demi all that time, taking pictures and profiling her, as an unregistered cop disturbed me beyond belief. My own brother, faking an identity to stalk a girl, how could he?

The more and more I thought about it, the more I began to question his motives. What was the point of him faking to be a cop? Why was he stalking Demi? And why was he so secretive about it? He told me everything, good and bad; why not this time?

Before I let my feelings overwhelm me, I picked up my phone and called Demi; she deserved to know. I held the phone up to my ear and listened to the phone ring, and ring, and ring.

"Hey, it's Demi. I can't get to the phone right now. Please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Bye!"

"Hey, Dem. I have something really important that I need to tell you. Please call me back as soon as you can. Love you."

I hung up the phone, surprised Demi didn't answer; she always answered her phone. Maybe she didn't feel her phone vibrate. I clicked the redial button and held my phone up to my ear again. This time, the phone picked up on the third ring.

I waited a moment for her to respond, but all I could hear was rustling.

"Demi?" I said, thinking maybe she pocket dialed to pick up the phone.

Still, no response. Soon I heard grunting and the noise of rustling amplified.

"Get-off me!" I heard someone say through clenched teeth.

"Demi?!" I say louder, starting to get worried.

I got a response right after I spoke her name, but it wasnt the response I was looking for. Instead, it was the blood curdling scream of Demi.

"DEMI!!" I call out into the phone.

"Shut up before I fire this right through your temple!" I hear Wilmer mutter.

"Please, stop!" I hear Demi cry out.

"That was your last warni-"

The phone went silent. Connection was lost. If she wasnt dead already, Demi was in grave danger, and it was up to me to save her. I grabbed my leather jacket off the chair and dialed 911, leaving my apartment. As fast as my legs could carry me, I ran to Demi's house.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"I would like to report a man for kidnapping a 16 year old girl. I need help fast, she may be dead."

What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to fan, vote, and comment. I need 7 comments before I continue! 💜