Chapter 10 Part 1

The next day at school was much like the day before; people stared and whispered. Today, however, I did a better job at brushing it off and ignoring it. Although I hated all the attention, I realized what Joe had told me the other day made sense, giving me some comfort.

     From what Maddie told me, it seemed like the kids at her school were still too young to understand what happened, so she didn't get the stares I got. It made me happy, at least, that Maddie was doing well.

     I didn't see Dallas at all yesterday; I can only imagine how stressed she is. Realizing I had it better off than Dallas, I was able to pick my head up and carry my small burden of being accepted at school. If nothing else, I had Joe. I could've been alone in this, but I'm not; he's what keeps me going. I didn't see him much at all that day, but he was waiting for me outside my classroom when the bell rang. "Hey, better day today?" he asks, following me to my locker.

"Yeah. It wasnt too bad," I smile, putting my books in my locker.

"So, I was thinking, maybe we could hang out at my house today?" Joe says as we walk outside.

"Yeah, lemme just call Maddie," I say, reaching for my phone in my pocket.

"Hey, Maddie, it's Demi. I'm gonna be at Joe's for a bit, so just call me if you need anything," I say to the answering machine.

     Joe and I talk our way to his house; he tells me about his sports and I tell him about my music and how I'm liking my classes. Eventually, we approach his apartment complex.

"Hey, I think this is the place Dallas was looking to buy from," I say, recognizing it from the site Dallas showed me on the Internet.

"Guess we'll be hanging out a little more," he says with a smile.

"Oh bother," I joke,"do I really have to put up with you even more?"

"Hey, watch it young lady," he says in his nerd voice, pointing a finger at me. We walk up the stairs until we reach his place.

"After you," Joe says, opening the door for me. I walk in and see a small leather couch and a television.

"Just wait here, I'm gonna go get changed real quick," Joe says, heading for his bedroom.

     I then look at the pictures hanging up on the wall, showing pictures of him with his brother through the years.

I giggle, when I hear a voice right behind my hear say,"hey, wasnt expecting you here."

     Startled, I jump back before turning around to see who it was.

"Wilmer, you scared me," I say to him.

"Sorry, you startled me too," he says with a chuckle.

"Please, sit," Wilmer says, stretching his arm out to the couch. I sit down and he takes a sit next to me, stretching his arm put behind my neck.

"So, how are you feeling?" Wilmer questions, inching closer to me.

"Fine, thanks," I reply quickly, not knowing where this is going.

     He continues to lean in until we are just inches away from each other,"Joe doesn't have to know."

"Uh, Joe's right here. What are you doing, man?" Joe says, confronting his brother.

     Wilmer stands up and puts his hands in the air,"It wasnt me, dude. Her hands were all over me. I wouldn't betray you like that."