Chapter 3

Morning came with a quickness as the bright beams of the sun snuck through my window and glared in my face. I slowly rolled out of bed and started getting dressed, wishing I wasn't awake. Soon, there was a knocking on my door.

"Come in!" I call out as I zip the fly on my jeans.

"Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to go to school today. I just called in to say I was dropping out and that you and maddie would be absent the first week. I have a job interview so I have to go. Take care of Maddie for me, I love you," Dallas says, hugging me tight.

     I take notice of her blazer and pencil skirt, making her look very professional. I hug her back and kiss her on the cheek goodbye as she heads out the door. Dallas never ceased to amaze me. Although she was a total goofball, she was still incredibly mature. Even though Eddie wasn't my real dad, he felt like one to me, and losing him is still a pain I am almost unable to bear; and I know the same was true for Dallas. Still, she got herself up just hours after the incident to go to job interviews because that's what she needed to do to take care of us. Easily, she could have given us up for foster care and just have to worry about taking care of herself; but she didn't. Instead, she sacrificed her future and dreams so that we could be together; and I was forever grateful for that. Although I woke up this morning not wanting to even be alive, Dallas inspired me to keep my head over my shoulders and be a good role model for Maddie. So, I quickly got myself together and went downstairs to make breakfast. As I was flipping the eggs and sausages over, I couldn't help but wonder who that sick man was, and what he planned to do to our family next.

     About an hour after I woke up, Maddie came trudging down the stairs.

"Morning baby girl," I say, pulling out a seat for her and giving Maddie her plate.

     She hops up on the stool and begins to take a bite of her food. Not knowing what else to say, I sit down too and just watch her. Suddenly, she puts the fork down and a frightened expression begins to form on her face.

"Demi, I'm scared," Maddie whines as tears begin to form in her eyes.

     I quickly give her a hug, but then pull out so I can look her in the eyes and say,"Hey, look at me. We're all safe now. It's daytime, nobody's gonna try to knock down our door now."

     Although I wasn't completely convinced that what I was saying was true myself, Maddie seemed to buy it and was greatly comforted by the thought.

"Okay," she sighs, taking in a bite of her breakfast.

     The tension then seemed to relax in the house as she finished her breakfast, and I started to believe that we were safe too. But, it appeared I had spoken too soon because there was a pounding at the door; It was like last night all over again. I remained frozen where I was at, not knowing what was about to happen and feeling completely vulnerable and defenseless. But I was convinced of one thing: that these were the last few minutes of our lives.