Chapter 15 Part 3

Principal Anderson opened the door to his office for me and I stepped in with him trailing closely behind. I begin to peer into the depths of his office, looking for a sign of the police, but I am quickly caught off by a familiar voice saying,"Demi. How nice to see you again. Please, take a seat."

     Turning to my right, I notice it's no other than Wilmer, standing with authority in his uniform. I took a seat in one of the chairs that were placed in front of the desk, usually used for confrontations between parents and students. While Principal Anderson stood behind me, all I could focus on his the laptop that Wilmer pulled out of his briefcase. Could that be the same laptop he was using to profile me? If so, it made sense. Maybe Joe was right about the whole thing. Maybe, I was called in here to be arrested, to be given my sentence! I start to go into a deep panic, my palms sweating and my mind racing.

"Now, Demi. I think we both now why you were called here today. I have some very important news to tell you today. But first, as always, I have a few questions I need to ask, or statements, rather. Let me take you back to the night Eddie was shot. I'm sure you remember, don't you? Now, they took you and your sisters into the station and began asking question. As my notes tell me, it appears you said nothing. You had absolutely nothing to say when questions were asked. In fact, it says you were quite fidgity and seemed troubled. Care to explain that?" Wilmer begins. Everything began to feel like an interrogation session, which scared me to no end. But, his last few statements really got to me and I became enraged.

"Disturbed?! Of course I was disturbed! My father, which for all intensive purposes he was, had just been shot! You expect me to remain calm and content after something like that just happened?!"

"Call down, Demi. These are just simple questions. You do seem quite defensive though. Is there something you would like to confess?" Wilmer provokes.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean? I'm innocent! That was my father! Why would I want him dead?!"

     With a curt smile and a flip of his pen, Wilmer replies,"Records show he left you all quite the fortune. A fortune you wouldn't receive until his passing. And, through many private interviews, I have been notified that you all had quite the fight just before school let out for the summer this past year. In fact, it was so big that you rain out of the house yelling,'I'm going to kill you!' Care to explain that one?"

     Instantly, the memory came back of that day. It was just a few weeks before summer break. My friends and I planned to sneak out for a weekend and spend some time at a beach house. We all chipped in some money and got our tickets for the bus to take us there. Unfortunately, Eddie heard of this and disapproved. So, he took my ticket, ripped it up, and made me call my friends and say I couldn't go. Then, he grounded me and said I couldn't go anywhere without a member of the family all summer. I was furious! Since my emotions were so built up, I needed some time to cool off. Eddie suggested I take a walk outside and come back when I was ready. I slammed the door shut and said,'I'm gonna kill you!' They were empty words, really. I didn't mean any of it. I just needed to vent. I never thought those words could be used against me; but now they were coming back to haunt me.

"That was nothing! People say that all the time and don't mean a word of it. We were just in an argument. I wouldn't never actually kill him!" I protest.

"So, you admit to it. Great," Wilmer mutters, scribbling down something on his notepad.

"Yes, I said it. But I will never confess to murdering him because I didn't do it! You have no proof!"

"I'm sorry, Demi, but the fact that you screamed that only months after Eddie was killed puts an awful lot of evidence against you. But, you're right, we have no proof that you killed him. Which brings me to what I have to tell you. As of now, we have found a murder suspect. Do you want to know who that person is?"

     I press my lips firmly together and scrunch my eyebrows, knowing what he is going to say and absolutely annoyed by it.

     Wilmer leans in closer and says more softly than he's ever said it before,"That's right, Demi. It's you."