NINE

" then why'd you leave me? "

Chapter 9:

Where He Went

Tony Stark went missing just a few weeks before what was supposed to be Peter's seventh birthday.

Too big of a coincidence in Annabeth's eyes but a coincidence nonetheless. It seemed like the entire universe had something against Annabeth. I mean, why else would this be happening?

When Annabeth found out, she had been chatting with Happy about how his family drama. His sister just got married and Happy was not very fond of his new brother-in-law.

Rhodey had arrived then, with a tearful Pepper on his tail, hoping to tell the Pierce girl the news themselves. After all, Annabeth could have reacted in any way and out of all those who were left— they did know her the best.

She had laughed at first, as if they were all playing a joke on her. Then she had said something among the lines of, "Please, he is Tony Stark— he is probably in Thailand having a vacation."

Her denial towards the situation in hand had continued for a few more minutes till it finally sunk in her head that it was true— Tony might never come back.

She had fallen on the ground and the entire group watched as Annabeth finally broke down.

"Not again," she kept whispering, rocking herself back and forth as if it was her only form of comfort.

"Hey, Annie," Rhodey had sat in front of her— still in his uniform, "It's okay... Tony will find his way back home."

"He—he—what if he doesn't?" Annabeth had whispered back, once again fidgeting with the ring on her neck, "I can't lose him Rhodey, not  after everything that happened between us already... not after everything I already lost.."

He sighed. He remembered Peter— of course he did, he was supposed to be the kid's godfather. Hell— they were even keeping James as the boy's middle name and then...

"You are not going to lose him, Annabeth," he promised her, "Not again— not if I have anything to do about it."

Annabeth had wiped her tears then, getting up and had received a bone-crushing hug from Pepper and a kiss on her forehead from Rhodey.

"Besides," Happy had said, "He's Tony Stark— he will be fine."