TWENTY-ONE

TW: character death

" wake up to a better tomorrow "

Chapter 21:

Flashbacks and New Beginnings

[ 3 years ago ]

"Mom! I am home," Annabeth called out in her American accent the moment she stepped through the door. Being in a small town in London was as amazing as it could be except the fact that the locals loved to tease the Carter women on their accent. So reluctantly, Annabeth began to lose it as much as she could in public— she wanted to fit in.

Her mother Andrea, on the other hand— who was actually British, didn't mind saying that she had fought for America and was damn well gonna show it. Andrea was proud like that.

Annabeth adored her mother.

Andrea Pierce, who was now once again a Carter, gave everything in Malibu up when Annabeth brought up the possibility of moving somewhere else and having another beginning. 

Annabeth believed her mother to be brave— divorcing a controlling, cheating bastard of a husband while also battling cancer could not have been an easy job. And then Andrea also had a grief-stricken daughter to think about.

For Annabeth, her mom was her hero.

Putting her bag down, Annabeth went to the tiny kitchen in their small apartment. As she started making some tea for herself, the girl went back and forth reading between her phone and her book of applied microbiology.

Revision never really hurt anyone.

Noticing the lack of life since she had arrived,  Annabeth raked through her brain for any message from her mom indicating she wouldn't be home.

Andrea wouldn't be outside at such a time anyway, considering it was time for her medicines.

But Annabeth was also just a kid, so thinking that her mom must be in her room, she continued to speak—

"The café paid me today," Annabeth told her mom as she checked her phone for news on some famous personalities— namely one who was called Tony Stark, "We could go out to Samantha's today for dinner. She has been calling us to try that new dish for weeks."

There was no reply again.

"I heard Stark Industries broke their contract with Pierce Ltd. so dad must be getting the karma he deserves."