FORTY-ONE

" last night was the last night of my past life "

Chapter 41:

We can figure this out

Annabeth wanted to kill Tony for doing this. Flying in the arms of Iron Man while holding your only son- that too one that you just found was enough to give a woman five heart attacks (even though Peter seemed to really enjoy it).

Tony flew them for a roof of a building nearby. The second Annabeth could feel the ground at her feet she tried to get away from Iron Man's embrace as she settled Peter down. 

She needs space. She needs air. She and Peter could have died and God knows what happened to the people that were still at the Expo.

She pushed Tony away with all the strength she had. Tony gave a step back and took the Iron Man helmet off at the same moment that Annabeth looked at what remained from the Expo.

"I am so sorry," Tony said the moment Annabeth stepped away from him- the distance between them already seeming too far. Peter had ran off near the edge- still smart enough to stay about three feet away from it- watching the destruction that Justin Hammer had inevitably caused.

"I am resigning from this job!" Annabeth cried out, "This is dangerous, Anthony! We could have died-"

"But you didn't!" Tony tried to reason, his eyes not meeting hers.

"I can't... I can't... I can't take this anymore," She spoke nervous still looking at the Expo consumed by fire; she couldn't stop her body from shaking.

Tony stopped staring at his helmet and came one step closer to her.

"You can't what?" he asks.