TWENTY-FIVE

" you look like yourself but I see someone else "

Chapter 25:

The Man You Used To Be

[ T O X I C I T Y   L E V E L : 14 % ]

After weeks of sleepless nights, finally the Stark Expo was ready for its opening night. Annabeth and Pepper prepared everything in record time, still not agreeing with the amount of money they had to use to make it happen, but that was Tony's wish so... they did it.

Even with the problems between Tony and the Army for the Iron Man suit, Annabeth managed to get authorization with the Department of Defense to use a military aircraft to drop Tony on Stark Expo's airspace so he could land with the Iron Man suit and do his opening speech.

Normally he would just fly from his house to get there. But he started to complain that his tux would get there crumpled and it was for the best if he could just jump with the Iron Man to make an entrance. Again, Annabeth had to work in record time and make use of all her diplomatic abilities to make the DOD agree with it.

When the opening day finally arrived the plane was ready and waiting for Tony at Edwards Air Force Base. Annabeth, along with Pepper and Happy arrived at Tony's house to pick him up. She couldn't wait for this Expo to be open so she could focus on the Senator issue, and then the Militaries, and not to mention, her biggest concern: Stark Industries.

She had taken a leave from the hospital to fix this up and went in only when she had time.

God! Is it me or is everything happening at the same time nowadays? She thought as she went downstairs to get her boss. She found him lying on the couch of the workshop, a bottle of whiskey on the table next to him. He looked exhausted, like he had a hangover with dark circles under his eyes, I can not believe this!

"You are drunk," She spoke impatiently. It's now been months since she saw him like this. To be more accurate the last time she saw him like this was before the kidnapping.

 I can't believe that he chose the Opening night to start drinking again.

"I'm not drunk," murmured Tony, not making any movements to get up from the couch. Annabeth pointed at the bottle next to him, "It was just a few drinks— nothing like that..." but she didn't believe him. 

In all the time she had known him, his appearance was giving him away. Tony realized that Annabeth didn't believe him and finally gave up. "What do you want, Annie?"

"What I want is for you to follow your schedule, your plane leaves in a couple hours. Come on, you need a bath, dress in your tuxedo and get the Iron Man suit so we can go."

When Tony didn't make any movements to get up she pushed him out of the couch, "Come on, Tony!"

"Relax. It's not like the plane will leave without me," He teased her making an effort to get up from the couch.