THIRTY

" remember when we were kids and loved without what-ifs "

Chapter 30:

What makes you broken?

[ T O X I C I T Y   L E V E L  :  41 % ]

They met Tony at the airport. Annabeth and Tony hadn't spoken yet and once the jet was in the air, he left-leaving her alone with her thoughts. Pepper too, sat a little too far away from her, easily falling asleep... something that Annabeth never understood but still felt envious of.

Events of that day were replaying in her mind over and over again. Even if there was no attacker, even if everything was as fine as it was supposed to be, what was Tony thinking when he decided to drive that car? Why was he being so reckless all the sudden? Why was she?

But then Tony was more important and they both knew pretty well that politicians like Senator Stern were trying to make him seen as an untrustworthy person. Tony was just giving them what they wanted by acting like that.

Come to think about it, he is been acting weird-well weirder-for weeks, She thought about his behavior for a moment, If I have to say for a moment where this all started, then it was before he had the idea for the Expo.

She tried to think about that day specifically, but so many things had happened afterwards.

He is hiding something. Why has it been so hard to figure it out what it is?

She thought for a moment about everything that happened to them since he decided to come up with the Expo and her suspicions grew stronger. Annabeth also remembered herself confronting him once or twice about it, but he denied every possibility she could come up with.

Also another question that she had in mind was-what about them? Apparently Tony had decided to stop his advances on her. And it's not because of Natalie anymore. 

No, he was a little distant even before her. But then, sometimes he would act normally, based on the new proximity they developed over the past months.

At some moments, Annabeth felt like Tony was pushing her away, but then he would do something to get her back, only for her to be pushed away again.

She sighed, tired. She was exhausted, so much that she couldn't sleep. She decided that it was useless to keep thinking and trying to analyze Tony's behavior. He could be both predictable and a complete mystery to her at the same time and thinking about it would only make her already crippling insomnia worse.

Annabeth turned the TV on trying to get her mind off Tony for a few minutes. 

Useless

On TV, Senator Stern was talking about Tony.