FORTY-NINE

" you're the only thing i know like the back of my hand "

Chapter 49:

Girl meets the Avengers

After driving from Manhattan to SHIELD's HQ, Annabeth was just beginning to realize what was happening. She did not know what was happening- not a single clue really but she knew that whatever it was... it was huge. It was surely going to change everything.

The temperature in the room was so cold when she arrived that she could see her breath. She had left Peter back at the tower hoping that Tony would drop him off at May's. Several nurses, physicians, and scientists were bustling around, talking in solemn whispers as they gestured wildly at the dying agent before her- all just waiting on her orders.

She understood why she was being called.

Beyond the men and women of science that hustled, a group of agents efficiently worked on their assignments—changing her hospital room one piece of furniture at a time. A vase. An old-fashioned t.v. Slowly turned the room that she knew like the back of her hand into something unfamiliar that it made her skin crawl.

"There will be more patients coming in, Annabeth," Natasha had said to her, "We will need more beds- we will need more of your help."

"I expected you to be in the fray, Doctor," Nick Fury said, appearing silently creeping up from behind her. "And yet you are by the sidelines. Why?"

"You're going about this all wrong," she said, hands clenching tightly in front of herself. Her eyes didn't move from the man whose brain charts showed impossible readings. They should be saving his heart right now but here they were, assessing the mind."

"It is uncertain what the mental state of the agent is," Fury said clinically, calculatingly. She wanted to wring his neck. "This has been determined to be the best way to assess it."

"It's magic," she said, turning to look at him in the eye. "And you are here asking the children of science to determine the cause. I know that magic is just science undiscovered but your agent is dying and you want to find out what this greasy-haired douchebag learned at Hogwarts."

"Are you giving me orders ?"

She took a step back, shaking her head. "I wouldn't dream of it, Director Fury, but as this patient's physician, I have made my assessment. " She drew herself to her full height. "I have nothing more to say... If I can't save him then I see no point to doing this." She pivoted, stuffing her cold hands into her white coat pocket.

"This comes out of your paycheck, doctor," Fury said as she passed him.

"I am the CEO of STARK Industries," She rolled her eyes, "You'll find that I don't need your money."