FOURTEEN

"but hope was never the goal "

Chapter 14:

Are You Doing Fine?

The next day Annabeth went to Stark Industries early, took some documents that needed her immediate attention and went back to Tony's mansion.

When she arrived, JARVIS informed her that Tony was out to talk to Rhodey. She decided to start working in her room until Tony came back.

It was already afternoon when the billionaire came home.

 At the signs of his arrival, Annabeth went to talk to him. She found him sitting in front of his computers at the workshop looking down at something, looking as if he was in deep thought. She dialed her passcode and started talking.

"Tony... I need to— are you okay?" She ask after she saw the look in his eyes.

"Yeah" he answered avoiding her eyes, his own held hurt and disappointment.

He and Rhodey probably had a disagreement, she thought. 

Annabeth was aware that Rhodey, as good of a friend he was, still didn't fully support Tony and his new policy. Tony was, after all, the main weapons manufacture of the army. He insisted that Tony was suffering with PTSD and didn't fully comprehend the genius' motivations yet. Hell not even Annabeth or Pepper could say they understood. All Annabeth knew was that Tony needed support and didn't seem to be suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder as everyone around them liked to claim.

"What do you need?" he asked before she had a chance to question further.

"Tony, don't you think you should be in the office?" she asked with caution. She didn't wanted to pressure him or anything, but at least if he was in the office, even doing nothing at all, they could have a better control of the situation.

"Things are a little unstable right now," He spoke softly.

"That's exactly my point," She told him getting closer. He looked at her for a moment.

"Obie agrees with me," he said calmly, "He is trying to bring the board members to my side. I talked to him about the new administration already."

"And don't you think you should help with that?"

"He told me to lay low, so I lay low..." he simply replied, trusting the words of his older friend and, why not say, father figure. They were in silence for a moment.