TWENTY

TW: violence

" i brought a knife to a gunfight "

Chapter 20:

Truth hurts but secrets kill

Annabeth walked through the empty hallway of Tony's mansion, filled with confusion.

She knew Rhodey wasn't attending this little celebration party but both Pepper and Tony promised to be there.

They were probably in the labs.

It was not a secret that Annabeth took years to get her degree in medical sciences, trying to earn it ever since she was nothing but a girl of seventeen.

She was finally Dr. Carter (Actually Dr. Pierce but details), a title she had wished for ever since her father had told her she was worth nothing and would probably never make it in life when she grew up. In case you haven't noticed till now— Annabeth wasn't much of a listener.

Holding the boxes of pizzas in one hand and digging around in her purse with her other, Annabeth realized her phone had been vibrating for  the past five minutes.

It was probably Pepper or Tony.

Putting the boxes down, one could say Annabeth was surprised when she saw Obadiah Stane just chilling near the piano, probably about to head out.

The unpleasant feeling that came over her whenever she saw the man returned— the feeling of being analyzed as if he knew something she didn't.

But then, he was Obie... Tony's oldest friend, the guy that kept her out of jail and was the fun uncle during parties. He couldn't mean her any harm.

Right?

"Obie?" she called out, "I didn't know you were coming over."

Obadiah turned at once, a look of horror on his face till he saw it was just Annabeth. He smiled at her.

"Oh, darling Annabeth! I didn't know you were back from New York already."

Annabeth smiled, "Just did as the newly certified and registered Dr. Carter."

Obie smiled back but Annabeth knew the world well enough to know it was fake.

"Congratulations."

"You want to join us for some pizza?" she asked the bald man politely.

Obie shook his head, "No— you kids enjoy."

Annabeth smiled as she looked for anything out of the ordinary... something was definitely wrong.