NINETEEN

" I didn't mean the words that I said last night "

Chapter 19:

Story Time with Doctor Strange

Annabeth smiled at Stephen Strange and one knew that he found it extremely weird.

"Congratulations, Dr. Strange," she said and he gave her a little smile— the most she would ever get out of him.

"Same goes for you, Dr. Pierce."

Annabeth made a face, "I know that's what the dean said but don't call me that."

"Okay fine, congratulation Dr. Carter," and for a moment there was complete adoration between the pair— no bitterness, no snark in his voice.

"So what's the deal with you and Tony Stark?" Stephen asked and Annabeth wondered how long he had kept that question to himself.

She checked her watch— a few hours till her flight.

"What do you want to know?"

Almost three hours later, Stephen looked baffled— to say the least.

"Wait, let me get this straight—" he said as she neared the ending of her till-present-life story (Annabeth fought the urge to say something like, 'nothing concerning me should be straight'), "You were best friends, then you both were dating each other and then you gave birth to, I am sorry for this but, a stillborn child and then you what— just left?"

Annabeth frowned.

"You just phrased my entire life in a question," she stated.

"Accurately," Stephen noted to her.

Annabeth nodded. "True," she told him, "And yes I left."

"Woah," the newly titled doctor said— "That was pretty shitty on your part."

She swatted a hand at him, "I was not really good in my head okay! But honestly, I am doing better now. I even found it in myself to forgive Tony for being a dick last night."

"I am glad for you, then."

"So what are you planning to do now? Still be Tony's assistant?" Stephen asked after a few minutes of comfortable silence.