THIRTY-EIGHT

" I lived, and I learned. Had you, got burned. Held out, and held on. God knows, too long "

Chapter 38:

Someone I found

Annabeth's first reaction to May's words was disbelief

Annabeth's first reaction to May's words was disbelief. Every atom in her body screamed for her to run, to leave this place as soon as possible because if she stayed, no one would be more hurt than her. She was tempted to do so but then there was a part of her that begged the woman to stay- to finally give a chance.

Denial had reached every bone of Annabeth's body because if there was one thing that could truly destroy her- it was hope. All hope ever did for her was torture her in ways that never really ended.

"J-JARVIS, did Pepper hear that?" Annabeth asked with a shaky voice.

"No, Doctor Pierce, no one has heard the recordings of your previous conversation," the AI spoke- a softness in his voice that she seemed to have missed, "If you wish so, I can delete the clippings and override Mr. Stark's orders."

Annabeth looked at the ceiling gratefully- if she was falling for this ruse, it was better no one else knew.

"Thank you, JARVIS."

After the tears May shed at the hospital, she guided a paralyzed Annabeth to her apartment which was nearby in Queens, telling her about the Peter that was not Peter James Pierce-Stark but Peter Benjamin Parker. May assured the brunette that Peter knew as much about her as she herself did. He knew who his real mother was.

"B-But how do I know this is real?" Annabeth whispered, unsure if she spoke at all. So much had happened in just the span of a week- she was promoted as a C.E.O., Tony appointed a new PA who just as well happens to be a super-spy, she had a fight with Tony that she wasn't sure could be fixed and now Nick Fury had given her another job and sent her May Parker's way. Life wasn't supposed to be this overwhelming, right?

Right?

May Parker smiled at the young doctor softly, "You live it and make sure that it is."

Yeah, Annabeth could do that.

Maybe.

"I spent years looking for you," May said as she paid her babysitter to leave because Peter seemed to have fallen asleep, "After that bald bastard kicked me out of the hospital, I managed to take Peter with me and bring him to New York for some time till things settled down but then when I looked for you, you were nowhere to be found."