FORTY-EIGHT

" i don't even know if our memories will last "

Chapter 48:

Only 12 Percent

"Light her up."

Annabeth pressed the buttons and beheld her boyfriend's face as he looked at the tower from the outside. She envied him at this moment. They had both worked on this for months. Together. But still, he was the first to see the tower light up.

"How does it look?" she queried him, anxious over the results.

"Like Christmas, but with more me," he joked.

Annabeth smiled with relief, ruffling her son's hair who was now hugging her legs in excitement.

This was all she had desired to hear. All the work they had accomplished, all the nights without sleep. All of it, at that moment, was worth it. Their project worked. Their project worked, and they were able to witness it together as a family. Ideas started to pop into her head again.

"We've got to go wide on the public awareness campaign. You need to do some press," He was still the face of the company despite not being CEO anymore. Tony had the public charisma and knew how to explore that. "Pepper is going to DC tomorrow. We are working on the zoning for the next three buildings-"

"Pepper? Is she going to DC? Annie wait-" he interrupted her. "You're killing me. The moment, remember? Enjoy the moment."

She smiled at his attitude in trying to soothe her down. That second, her eyes laid on the champagne that was waiting for them she decided to tease him. "Then get in here and I will."

"What's champagne, mom?" Peter asked.

Her eyebrows furrowed but she answered him with a kiss on his forehead, "Adult drink, sweetie but you gotta go to bed, now. It's late."

Peter started to argue but she looked at him sternly. Like his father, Peter knew when he shouldn't push Annabeth's buttons.

As Peter walked away, back to his room while chatting away with JARVIS, Annabeth heard Tony outside. She watched as Tony started to walk back inside the building and J took the Iron Man suit off him. An alert came through on Tony's phone.

"Sir, Agent Coulson of SHIELD is on the line."

"I'm not in," he answered. "I'm actually out." 

He was still outside the building walking in on the landing pad so technically Tony wasn't lying.

Again, JARVIS's voice was heard. "Sir, I'm afraid he is insisting."