THIRTY-SIX

" who are you if not a cosmic mess? "

Chapter 36:

What A Name Holds

"You know who I am," The man with the one eye had spoken in a tone that showed that he was indeed, momentarily surprised by Annabeth

The woman just looked up and smirked, "You can say that I did my homework."

The man nodded but Annabeth wasn't done talking yet.

"Just like I knew that there was a spy in my house," Annabeth sat back with a satisfied smile, "You seriously didn't think I wouldn't figure it out, right? Not only was I raised by a Carter, Peggy Carter is my aunt."

Nick Fury gave a short-laugh, "Did Sharon tell you?"

"It doesn't matter," Annabeth shrugged him off, "I figured it out anyway. Natasha is a good one, though- pretty gorgeous too. Almost had me convinced but thank God for Peggy Carter and her over-protectiveness. Do you think Natasha is into girls?"

The man ignored what she said, "You have been dodging my calls, Doctor. Needless to say, no one sends me to voicemail."

Annabeth looked amused as she answered, "Oops I totally did that. What do you think about it?"

Fury raised an eyebrow, "I think you're pretty immature for your age and your professions."

Annabeth being who she was, just rolled her eyes, "And I think you are missing a hook, Captain Aye."

The director of S.H.I.E.L.D. pinched his nose in irritation.

"I can see why you and Stark get along so well," he said, "I have a great offer for you."

"But I already have a job."

"I have information on Tony Stark's current health that you might find interesting enough to listen to," Nick said, "That is, if saving Stark's life is in your priority list."

That stopped Annabeth's list of sarcastic answers as her blood ran cold.

She sat up, "His health? What are you talking about?"

"I assume that you are not aware of the fact that the arc reactor on his chest is killing him."

Annabeth just stared at him. He's dying. He's dying and I didn't even know. Suddenly everything made sense to her- the pulling away, the promotion, the lack of communication and everything. Annabeth felt so stupid. How could she not realize this?