Chapter 22

"I just can't believe that no one has mentioned her" I said finishing off my food. "I mean you've never asked. Plus, Tee was always the wild card of the family. She would leave for months on end and come back" he shrugged. "And your parents were ok with this?" I asked. "He'll no. But they were too busy worrying about Troy to worry about us" he said laying on his back. I moved the tray and laid my head on his chest.
       "How come you never talk about your mom?" He asked. "Like I only know bits and pieces from you but everything about you is about Kenny" he said looking down at me. "I mean I've basically raised her since she was three so." I dragged. "Wow. That must've been tough" he exclaimed. "It was" I sighed. "I mean once my mom died, we didn't have any immediate family except Paul. And he was a pretty decent guy but then he started to become mean and abusive towards Kenny." I said thinking back to the time he hit Kenny.
        "I had just finished college and looking for a job and trying to find a lawyer to get custody of Kenny. He was horrible." I sniffed trying to stop the tears from falling. "I could only see her on Sundays, and I had to bring her back at five sharp or I couldn't see her the following Sunday." I cried. "Once she started talking and walking, he would train her, and if he didn't like something she did, he would starve or hit her" I cried.
     "I had to get her out of there. She was just a child. I had to. I just couldn't think of my mom at the time or ever really. I already have too much going on."  I cried. "I'm really sorry about Paul but you don't have to do this alone" he said squeezing me tighter. "And it's not healthy to not grieve" he said.
     "She would've liked you." I smiled wiping my eyes. "My mother." I pointed. "She hates my last boyfriend. Guess she was right. He was a douche" I laughed thinking about our last conversation about him. "She said I deserved a man who could provide but also cherish me as if I was a diamond" I smiled at the memory.
       "It's just sad because Paul has all of our pictures and I would love to go home someday and get them. Maybe show Kenny" I smiled. "Don't worry. We will" he smiled kissing my forehead.