Chapter 6

I set my alarm early so I could make Kenny some breakfast. Today was her first day of school and I was in a mix of emotions. This was my mom's and I tradition. Whenever I had my first day of school we would always have my favorite breakfast together. Even when I went away to college, she made sure I had breakfast before my first day. I was happy yet sad.
    I was happy because that meant my little Kenny was growing up, but I was sad because that meant my mom was missing all the milestones in her life. She was going to miss her graduation, first dance, her college acceptances, her wedding, and more. I felt my heart just break at the thought of it. I sighed and plated the breakfast and sat it on the counter as I went to wake her up.
    "Kenny" I called shaking her lightly making her groan and put the cover over her head. "Come on its time to get up" I told her softly. "Why do I have to get up so early" she yawned. "Come. I've made breakfast so you can eat before school" I told her. "Do I have to go?" She asked. "Yes." I told her carrying her to the kitchen and sitting her in the chair at the counter. "Now eat up so you can brush your teeth and get ready" I smiled.
      I was setting up the kitchen at the cafe when I heard the sensor go off letting me know someone was here. I figured it was Veronica one of the waitresses. "Good morning Quinn" she smiled walking to the back closet hanging up her things. Veronica was very pretty. She was a little taller than me with jet black hair and ice blue eyes. She was kind of on the thin side, but it wasn't a sickly thin. She wasn't from here though. She was from the next town over but moved her to be with her fiancé Jackson.
      "Good morning. You seem chipper" I told her. "Morning sex will do that to you" she smiled making me laugh. "What it's better than coffee" she pointed. I mean she wasn't wrong but I could never really get into it because I was always busy or running late. Besides the guys I had sex with came to fast, and it was a complete turn off. I wanted to start my morning off good not bad.
      "So how was the carnival?" She asked. "It was good. Kenny had a great time. Also, we sold out of everything" I replied getting the breakfast bar ready. "Speaking of sweets. Jackson is coming today So finally you can meet him." She smiled. Every time she said his name she glowed like a light bulb. "Really" I smiled. I mean she was always talking about him but I've never really seen him. "I thought he didn't exist" I joked. "Yeah. Yeah." She waved pouring her some coffee and taking a bear claw.
       "He was on some very important business for Tristan" she said. "He works for Tristan?" I asked and she nodded. "Yeah he's like his second in command" she exclaimed taking a sip of her coffee and going to set up her station.
      "I'll be right back. I'm going to pick up Kenny" I told Veronica grabbing my keys and jacket. Just as I was about to leave Tristan walked in with a guy just as big as him. "Baby" I heard Veronica squeal. She ran and jumped in his arms kissing him very passionately. "Um ok" I exclaimed in discomfort at their very passionate display of affection and continued walking.
      I felt someone grab my hand and I knew it was him before I even turned around. "Hey where are you going?" He asked. "I have to pick up Kenny from school, and I'm running late" I told him pulling my hand from his. I instantly regretted it. I liked holding his hand. "I'll come with you" he smiled. "It's cool you have a guest" I told him walking out the door and getting into my car taking off as fast as possible.
      I kind of felt bad but I was also mad because I haven't heard from him since the festival. I mean we were supposed to do something, and he never showed.
Then he didn't respond to any of my text. So I was kind of mad. But then again, it's not like he was my boyfriend.
      I made my way back towards the cafe to finish my shift with a very talkative Kenny. I'm glad she had a good first day. Apparently, the kids thought it was cool that she lived all over. She did say that she missed Maddy and Izzy, but I told her they could visit on the weekends. "Are you hungry?" I asked her and she nodded. "Ok. We're going to spend some time at the cafe if that's ok with you?" I asked her. "Ok. Can I get a milkshake?" She asked and I nodded.
     I sat her at the counter and made my way towards the milkshake machine. "What flavor?" I asked her. "Two vanilla with sprinkles" she laughed. I turned to look at her and found Tristan sitting next to her smiling. "Two. I think you only need one" I told her ignoring him. "But Tristan said he wants one" she pouted. "Fine" I started turning around and making the milkshakes. I gave Kenny hers first and then Tristan his.
      I watched as he smiled at her taking a big gulp. I watched as his face turned in disgust instantly. "What the Fuck?" he exclaimed spitting out his shake instantly. "You said a bad word" Kenny said looking at him. "What is that?" He asked wiping his tongue with a napkin. "It's sour cream" I stated walking into the kitchen.
     "Um did I do something wrong?" I heard Tristan ask. "Nope." I said irritated. I was mad that I haven't spoken to him for a week, and I was mad at myself for even being interested in him. "So why such cold treatment?" He asked. "You don't work here and I need you to leave this kitchen" I told him sternly. "So you're going to act childish instead of telling me what's wrong" he stated calmly. It was kind of scary but I wouldn't show him that. "Me acting childish" I stated feeling my irritation turn into anger. "I just said nothing is wrong so why are you here?" I asked looking him directly in his eyes.
    The silence was deafening between us. Neither one of us broke our stare, and I'm not going to be the first one to do so. "Quinn table five needs those fries" Veronica said through the window. "I'm busy I guess you should go" I told him feeling my eyes water. I will not let this man see me cry. I don't even know why I'm crying but I won't let him see it. "Fine. I will talk to you when you're less angry" he exclaimed walking out the kitchen. As soon as the door closed the tears fell.