Chapter 9

It's been a week since my date with Tristan and I was happy that I was seeing him again tonight. He had gone away for business for a couple days but today he was coming back and I was happy.
     I walked into the shop and saw Veronica bouncing like a kid on coffee. "Good morning" I smiled. "You seem oddly happy this morning" she exclaimed. "What I woke up in a good mood and Kenny didn't give me any trouble getting ready for school" I shrugged. "Are you sure it's because a certain someone is coming home today?" She asked. "I have no idea what you're going on about" I faked.
      "Mhmm. Well I have some news" she smiled. "What's that?" I asked putting my apron on. "I'm pregnant" she squealed. "What congratulations." I smiled hugging her. "Thanks." She smiled "I'm so excited. Which is why I was wondering if I could borrow Ken for the weekend. Jackson and I want to start getting used to kids being around" she asked. "Umm" I dragged unsure.
      It wasn't that I didn't trust her. It's just that I didn't see her around kids. Plus I had to make sure Kenny was comfortable with her and Jackson. "I'll have to see, and I have to talk to Kenny about it." I told her and she nodded.
      "How was school?" I asked Kenny. "It was ok. Ms. Lenny said that we have career day on Monday. She said we can bring our mommy and daddy" she said quietly. I felt my heart tug a little because she had neither. I pulled into the parking lot of the diner and turned to look at her.
      "Kenny do you want me to come on Monday?" I asked her. "Why can't we talk to daddy?" She whined making me even more sad. I got out the car and got into the back seat. "Kenny look at me" I exclaimed softly lifting her chin.
     "You know I love you right, and I'd do anything to protect you" I told her wiping the tears from her face. "But you remember what happened when daddy got mad right?" I asked her and she nodded.
      "I don't want that to ever happen again. I'm very sorry that you have to go through this Kenny. I really am" I sniffed hugging her tightly. "Why can't we have a normal family like Maddy's?" She cried making me cry even harder. "I'm sorry Kenny. I really wish I could give you that, but I will try my best to make us the best family you've ever been in." I cried squeezing her tightly.
     I heard a knock on the door waking me from my slumber. I was about to go back to sleep when I heard it again. I sat up moving Kenny to the inside of the couch and made my way towards the door. I looked through the curtain and saw Tristan.
      I closed it quickly and looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was in a messy top knot and my shirt had a stain on it from Kenny. "Hold on" I exclaimed turning my shirt inside out and fixing my hair a little.
      "Hey" I smiled opening the door. "Wow" he exclaimed looking my over. I was in my pajamas which was an old shirt that was a little too small showing off my belly and some short shorts. He was looking at me as if he was a starved lion and I was a lonely gazelle.
      "Hey" I smiled "what are you doing here?" I questioned. "V told me you weren't feeling well and went home early. So I brought you some soup." He exclaimed holding up the bag. "Oh thank you" I smiled taking the soup. "You want to come in?" I asked stepping to the side. "Sure" he said coming in and closing the door behind him.
      "Wow looks like you guys had a night." He chuckled looking at a sleeping Kenny and the coffee table covered in junk food. "Yeah" I laughed. "She had a bad day so I figured I could make it better." I said putting the cover on her. "Here let me put this away" I exclaimed taking the soup from him. "This smells great" I exclaimed walking into the kitchen and looking for a spoon.
      "Do you want a drink. I found that beer that you had last week and brought a few" I smiled at him and he nodded. "So how was your trip?" I asked handing him a beer. "It was a trip but let's not talk about that" he exclaimed taking a sip. "I was hoping to take you on another date, but you seem busy tonight. What are you doing tomorrow?" He asked.
     "Nothing really" I exclaimed. "Spending some time with Kenny" I told him. "How about we spend some time together. We can all go to the movies and out to eat. If that's ok with you?" He asked hopefully. "Ok but I have to ask Kenny?" I told him. "Not a problem" he smiled making my heart flutter.