37

Just as how a thunder bold shivers a person standing in an open ground, Manik's leave with that blonde by his side struck Nandini.

The only intention she had was to make him jealous. She only wanted to make him feel guilty and see what he dumped. Seeing him affected by her closeness with somebody else was all that she wanted to see, but she never expected this.

"Where did he go all of a sudden?" Teeth chewed on her soft skin of lips as Nandini came out of the party lounge, in the dark isolated corridors.

Manik was a focused man. He was anything but a pervert. She had witnessed that it was not easy to impress him. If he was then he had already been into her bed, sleeping with her.

She was certain he would not end up how she was assuming him to.

"Gosh, where did he go? Why don't I," the other half of her sentence died in her mouth.

Her lashes nearly touched her eyebrows as she widened them quite big. So was her shock. Her body froze right where she paused after setting her eyes from across her at the huge parking lot.

Manik helped the girl sit in his car and sat in the driver's. Her ear drums hit with seductive giggles of the girl before the car accelerated and stowed away.

"What the..." She tugged on the tight band she had been wearing around her neck and undid it. The ribbon came in her hands free, its ends waving along the air in the parking lot.

It was breezy here yet she the felt sticky and overheated. Strangely she was sweating in a cool atmosphere where her hair bounced with air and face felt cool with chilly winds. It was the heat that came out of dread. Dread of seeing something unwanted happen.

She put a hand to her forehead, felt the shock of events thunder in the beat of blood at her temples as she tasted the bitter taste of bile in the back of her throat. They were not lover, neither anything closer as such. Just a mere employee and employer to each other. Still, still his leave with a girl created a tornado of uneasiness.

Her mind wandered to the worst of ideas and she gasped. What if he took her to his apartment for a lay? She pressed her lips together and thought that.

It was possible. Any man in his situation would do that. But he was NOT her man? Then why??? Nandini stressed her brain over it as much as she can and then, with a deep breath she padded further to the exit.

Settling in one of the cabs standing outside the club for passengers, she took Manik's address to the driver, all set to go and see him.

While the car ran on the road, her heart beats ran under her chest. Sweat beads ran on her forehead and unusual thoughts in her mind.

For the first time in life she fell in love. Not that people fall every now and again... But hers was true love. It was not just a love at first sight. But a love that she kept growing in her heart after meeting him that day in his country. Bloody hell, she never thought she would meet him after that day. She never thought he would come to work for her.

It was a dream come true. A dream that she saw every night but could not do anything to make it come to life. He was her that desire that she could only desire but never get. Why? Simply because she had no slight idea as to where he was. And when he did come, things were going all but straight.

"Keep the change!" She almost shouted while running across the huge skyscraper Manik stayed in.

Her feet hurt, her sandals heels were quite big. But who cared? All her attention... Her dread remained with him.

Nandini promptly entered inside the elevator and pressed the button of his door several times as though it won't work if pressed just once. She stood impatiently in the middle of the square shaped chamber watching the doors close and herself being elevated upward.

"Please don't do that Manik!" She muttered, her hands crazily biting at each other.

One by one she crossed the floor. Don't know why but the lift seemed to be working slower than expected. Or was it her assumption? No idea. One thing that was certain was that tonight was going to bring an inevitable storm. A storm of desires. A storm of feelings. And a storm of unsaid secrets.

Nandini's heart jumped in her chest. She was startled and a bit shocked when the lift finally, to her relief, came to halt. She lifted her head in order to see at the rectangular screen above the doors of the elevator, displaying the number of floors, 28 in red.

As the door ajarred with a ding sound, the woman on the intercom repeated the number of floor in a monotonous tone. And across her, was the door of his apartment. Big mahogany door, with electric lock, was closed under the soft lights that illuminated on the floor.

There were just three flats on each floor. Each located quite in distant from the other in a line. Manik's was in the extreme corner that was visible from the elevator as it was in the opposite direction.

Nandini quietly stepped out. Her fingers froze cold. She was not sure what she was doing. In the morning she handed him a promotion (punishment) letter. In the party, she danced with her client quiet cozily intending to affect him. Now, she was standing before his apartment.

Why???

What was the need?

He had shown he didn't want her. She had shown she was not interested in him anymore. She also showed that she wanted to get rid of him for being a jerk. Then what was it that brought her here?

'The need of love' her heart whispered.

It was the need, the yearning for love that brought her here. Being devoid of love since childhood, all that she hoped was a good married life.

Was it really hard to get one?

Was she not worth it?

If yes, then why?

Why she was devoid of love, emotion and support she should have gotten?

Thinking about all these brought tears in her eyes. Nandini had been a tough woman. She never kneeled before anyone for love or mental support. She carried  her issues and everything else on her own shoulders without much help from others.

But here she weakened. Her heart didn't support her. She lost it before her feelings. She lost it against the yearning to seek some shelter in the hands of a person who would love her.

But the question was, was he ready to be her companion?

Nandini stared at the closed door. She thought whether or not she should knock. It was hard to decide.

And what if he was with that girl doing... Ugh, she looked away not wanting to think about it.

Several minutes passed and she lingered there. Then finally with a defeated heave, she held her chest and turned around.

'True that I want him. His feelings also matters. If he has already made his decision then... I better go.'

She initiated her walking.

Wanting someone against their will was not what she wished for. And by leaving the with that girl dressed like a slut, he already drew a line of separation between them. Better it was like that.

She walked quietly, head hung low and eyes watering. However, she made sure the tears did anything but fall. They trembled on her lower eyes lashes, pooled her eye sockets and accumulated in such extent that it became to see anything. But Nandini did not let them fall. She rather brought her fingers near her eyes and closed her lids, resulting the liquid to fall on her fingers. It was difficult to not cry but easy to control herself.

Anyways, with a heavy heart as she came back to the elevator all set to hit the upward facing arrow to call for the chamber that brought her here, the doors suddenly clicked open itself. Her mouth dropped and wet eyes suddenly widened into huge balls when her gaze fell on the person who was standing within.

"Manik???"

Tbc...