Chapter Four, Part Two

"There she is!" a joyful booming voice said, as Lexa was the last to entered the drawing room. Lexa flushed red as her uncle, Stephen Kingsley, Viscount Ashdale rose up from his chair and made his way towards her as he gave her a big bear hug.

 "My favourite niece," he said, "How are you, lass?"

Lexa smiled at him as they broke apart, "I am well, Uncle Stephen."

Uncle Stephen gave her a warm smile; "I have not since you since Rosemarie's birthday."

"Is Rosemarie here?"

 Uncle Stephen sadly shook his head and said, "The poor lass fell ill with the flu. Arabella insisted that Miss Sherry care for her and tend to her needs. 'Side the lass does not do well on ships."

"Come child," said her grandmother, Frederica who sat in the middle, on the rocking chair, holding Lexa's youngest cousin, a boy of four years Tarquin. Tarquin was sound asleep when Lexa came over to sit beside her grandmother.

 Frederica Olessen, the matriarch of this household was a formidable woman in her seventies. Despite her white snow hair, her grey eyes sharply set its sight on Lexa, as Lexa sat on the spare chair beside her. "Grandmamma," said Lexa, "How good it is to see you."

Frederica arms tightened around the sleeping Tarquin and she said, not answering Lexa's question, "Your mother told me of your engagement, Alexandra."

Lexa nodded, "Yes, I am engaged."

"You have met the young man, I presume?" Frederica asked, directly with serious.

"Yes, Grandmamma. I have met Edward," Lexa replied.

"Edward? Is that the name of your young man?"

Lexa blushed and nodded. "Yes. His name is Edward."

  "Tell me about your Edward."

Lexa blushed even deeper.  Your young man. he wasn't hers yet. "There isn't much to tell, Grandmamma."

"Hush, Alexandra, I know you lie. Your mother told me nothing of your fiancé and I haven't got all day." Frederica said, sternly. Turning to the woman on her right, she said, "Hedwiga, please take your son to the nursery."

Hedwiga set her sewing down and took the sleeping Tarquin from Frederica's arms as she stood up. When she left, Frederica turned her attention to Lexa and said, "Well, I haven't got all day. Out with it."

As she had no choice in the matter and complied to her demanding grandmother, Lexa told Frederica about Edward and what she thought of him, and as she showed her grandmother the engagement ring, Frederica's lips twitched slightly to a small smile.

"You seem to like Lord Douro," Frederica said.

"I do indeed," said Lexa. It seemed that as her grandmother continued to press the further issue of Edward that she was constantly blushing

"I do think that your marriage will be a happy one."

"I hope," said Lexa.

 When Lexa returned to her bedchamber, she fell on her bed and sighed. Unlacing her boots, she kicked them off and started at the gilded ceiling. Her grandmother's interrogation left her with a headache and all she wanted was to sleep. But the door crackled open and while she was expecting Julie, it was Amara, holding something a plate filled with Danish pastries and as she came over, Amara sat on the bed's edge and said, "want one?"

Lexa got up and sitting straight, she took a maple-pecan Danish and asked as she took a bite of one, "Where you hiding in the kitchen again?"

Amara shrugged and said, "I was starving and was in the mood for food."

"You and your food will be the death of  you, Amara," Lexa said, and continued to bite into the pastry.

"Can you blame me if I have beastly appetite?"

"No," said Lexa, "I can't fathom why."

Taking the final bite of her pastry, Amara set the plate aside and said, "Now that we have delighted ourselves can you show me your wedding ring?"

"Its my engagement ring," Lexa corrected,  "I'm not married yet."

"But you will be," said Amara, mournfully, "and when you do, I'll miss you."

"Oh Mara," said Lexa as she hugged her youngest sister. "You not alone, you know. You have Asteria and Lucian."

"But Lex, you know well that Asteria and I don't get along well."

"I know, but what about Lucian?

 "Lucian hardly stays at home and you know that."

Lexa sighed and nodded, "I know."

And she did know.  Lucian, despite everything, preferred London out off all place to make his official residence. Why he even lived in a flat near Percy Street where he spent most of his time debauching courtesans and whores.

"What about Julie?"

Before Amara could answer a chirpy voice asked, "What about me?"

Lexa looked up to see Julie standing in front of her with her hands placed on her hips. "You're not gossiping about me?"

"I'm not one to gossip, Jules," said Lexa, "I'm only comforting my dear Amara over here." She placed her arm around Amara's shoulder and gently squeezed it.

Julie looked at Amara and said, "Sweet Amara, why the sad face?"

When Amara didn't answer, Lexa said, "She said she going to be lonely without me."

"Oh no," said Julie coming over to the other side of the bed and placed the empty plate on her lap. Pulling Amar free of Lexa, Julie hugged her best friend an said, "You have me and Robert, dearest. You'll never be lonely."

Amara sniffed and hugged Julie back and said, "I love you, Julie."

"I love you, too, Amara."