Chapter Four, Part One

Note dear readers, i have changed Edward to being the Marquess of Douro than the Earl of Mornington, heads up for confusion. (I will have to reedit again)

CHAPTER FOUR

Copenhagen, Denmark

The first thing, Lexa did not expect when she arrived in Copenhagen, after making her way into her grandfather's yellow palace, Olsson Palace was to be bombarded by her observant cousin Julie Kingsley. Miss Julie Kingsley was her paternal cousin through her mother, Arabella who was her father's younger sister. The former Lady Arabella Herbert had married the now Viscount Ashdale.

Lexa looked at her cousin. Julie was a beautiful girl at seventeen, looked very much like her father, Stephen. She had his dark black curling hair, that was now braided in an elaborate bun, her eyes under the dark, thick lashes were a clear luminous blue, her skin was fair and ivory, a strike contrast to the darkness of her hair. Lips a pale pink shaped as a Cupid's bow suited her heart-shaped face.

She wore a light blue dress, embroidered with fine gold lacings. The ruffs of her were lace white and on her pale neck, lying on the base of her breast, chained with gold, was an amber stone.

"Lexa, dearest," Julie said, as she hugged her, "So glad to see you!"

Lexa returned her cousin's embrace and said, "You are well, I presume?"

"Of course," said Julie, "Mama insisted that now that I have reached seventeen I come out and introduce myself to society."

"Hope that goes well," said Lexa.

"But enough about me," said Julie, "Come and tell me about you. I have here about your engagement to the Marquess of Douro."

Lexa flushed by the mere mention of Edward. It was the first thought of him since their kiss. Their first kiss, she thought.

As they made their way inside the grand foyer, their skirts sweeping the marble floors, Julie told her about what was happening down in Gloucestershire. How her lessons were going, how Rosemarie I received a few suitors, all whom she turned down much, as Julie pointed out, to Aunt Arabella's horror.

"Mama was livid though," Julie said as the two of them, opened the sturdy oak doors that opened to a luxurious bedchamber.

Lexa sighed in relief. The rest of the family, much of her mother's extended family were in the drawing room. She could here the faint laughter and the play of music and knew without having to be there that it was her Aunt Arabella playing Sonata 14 in C Minor on the pianoforte.

Lexa strolled over to the bed, facing the doorway. Once she reached the soft, plush, made bed, she fell face forwards on it, her face buried in the pillows and sighed. God, she was exhausted.

There was silence with the expectation of the crackling fire pulsing in the fireplace. Lexa rolled over on her back and then on her side, prompted her head on the palm of her hand, and looked over to see Julie sitting on the armchair, resting her head on the arm, resting, as her eyes remained closed.

"Julie," said Lexa.

Julie opened her eyes and straightening herself, she said, "Yes?"

"I wonder..." Lexa began, "How is Lord Anglesey?"

Robert Garroway, Marquess of Anglesey eldest son of the Duke of Braxton was a close friend of Julie's—or rather should she say—sweetheart, who was about her age, if not a few days older.

Lexa saw Julie flush, colour tinting her pale cheeks. "Robert is well," said Julie, "He still in Eton so I have no seen him."

Lexa relaxed herself. Talking about Julie was rather, soothing, "Does he write to you?"

"Of course," said Julie, "He promised he would. I even have his last letter."

She reached for something in her breast and took out a folded paper, and unfolded it. Curious, Lexa got up from her bed and to her feet as she walked over towards Julie, peering over her shoulder and squinted to see what Lord Anglesey had written to her. Dash it! She forgot her spectacles!

It was written nearly two months ago. It read:

February 25, 1884

My dearest Julie,

I thank you for the gift you have sent me for my birthday and I do apologize that I have not sent you anything for yours. I have been dreadfully busy hear in Eton as this is my final term before graduation. I do hope to go to Oxford soon after. How is my mother? I know she has been nagging you to tell the latest of me. Nothing interesting over here other than I'm at the moment conjuring words in Latin, as Cicero did say, assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit, which my dearest literally means: Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdoes both intelligence and skill. As I am spending myself engulfed in Latin, I hope your trip to Denmark does not bore you. I'm afraid though that this will be our last letter as I had said earlier, am dreadfully busy.

Until I see you next time, please think fondly of me.

Your most devoted,

Robert

"Your most devoted," said Lexa, "as so romantic. Tell me, Julie, are you in love with him?"

Folding the letter, Julie burned scarlet in the cheeks and said, a stutter that said otherwise. "S-such a silly notion. I, in love with Robert? Heavens, that would absurd."

Lexa sighed and said as she fell to the chair beside Julie, "You mustn't deny, rather embrace it. Love is rather a beautiful thing."

"I think you have been reading those terribly romantic novels," Julie said.

"I don't read romance," said Lexa, "I read practical things with practical matters in them, social reform, poverty, child-workers. Why, I even read Darwin's Origin of Species. Great mind that man about the origins of human nature."

"You're peculiar," Julie said, warily.

"Why thank you," said Lexa.

It was at that moment, much to Julie's relief—for she did not want Lexa to interrogate her further on the matter of her feelings towards a certain man named Robert— the bark oak wood door opened and in came Lady Ashdale with Lady Pembroke trailing behind.

"There you are, Alexandra," her aunt said.

Lexa rose up to greet her aunt. Arabella, Viscountess Ashdale was a lady of refined beauty. She looked very much like a member of the Herbert family should look like. The trademark brown hair and blue eyes were well obvious. Lady Ashdale wore her hair in the latest style, her dress was a dark purple, her skirts were a layered silk fell towards the floor, her waist was not as tight as it ought to be bit it had its shape. She wore a diamond necklace and stunning diamond earrings that showed the regalia of being a viscountess.

Lexa hugged and her aunt said, returning her embrace, "I am very pleased to hear my dear, of your engagement. Has Lord Douro proposed to you?"

Breaking the embrace, Lexa beamed at her aunt, remembering the feeling of euphoria as Edward slid the ring into her third finger. Without saying a word, Lexa lifted her left hand and showed the diamond ring glittering with movement.

"By God," Lady Ashdale said, taking Lexa's hand and tugging it forward for a better look. Her mother and Julie silently joined them to marvel and the ring. "Isn't it a beauty?"

"It's beautiful," Julie said.

"Why we ought to tell everyone. Our dear Alexandra is to be married. How blessed can this be?"

"Let's go to them," said Lady Pembroke.

Lexa nodded in obedience, and the three of them, left the room, in a rather jovial mood.