Chapter Fourteen, Part Two

Lexa was at a lost of what to do. She had just seen her husband with true sadness in his eyes. Was it the sight of his mother's portrait?  Something about his mother made him both bitter and sad and Lexa wondered why.

There was a mystery looming over this family she married into. Something wasn't adding up. Even the question of Phoebe's resemblance to Edward did not make sense.

Lexa took a deep breath and decided as she walked towards the drawing room. No more hesitation. She would ask Edward all the questions she had. She had right to it as his wife and she had a feeling that he knew it too. She would not be intimidated by him or the duke. Whatever outburst he lashed at her she would bear.

Lexa entered the drawing room to find Edward sitting  by the window in a lofty chair.

Before she could speak, Edward said, "I'm sorry, Lexa."

Lexa pursed her lips and sat beside him on the chair beside him. She took his hands from his face. It was easily done because Edward allowed it. Holding her husband's hands in hers, she looked at him and said, "What is going on, Edward."

He stared at her, his dark hazel eyes looked not only hesitant but guarded as well. Silence dragged on and Lexa feared that he would remain hesitant with her.

"It's all a confusing matter," Edward said, at last, "and do forgive me for having you hang in the dark not knowing."

He took a deep breath and continued on, "I had not counted on the fact you would meet my mother at Trafalgar."

"How so?" Lexa asked.

Edward swallowed, "Because I told you that she was dead."

"You did," Lexa replied, "But why? Why deceive me so?"

"I did not lie," Edward said, with finality. The strength in his voice his a lingering anger to it, "Metaphorically speaking. She is as good as dead. To me and my father."

Why? Lexa thought frantically to herself, why do you hate her so? Is she not your mother?

But Lexa held her tongue. She could say anything. No, she dared herself not to make any assumptions with knowing the truth.

Edward gaze softened and removing his hand from hers, he raised it to her cheeks. "I don't know where I should begin with my tale."

Lexa's heart fluttered. At last. He was going to tell her his story. She hoped this would mend the distance between them since the wedding.

"I do not mind where you begin," Lexa said.

And so, after a few minutes of calm and silence Edward began to tell her his story about his life and about why he and his father were currently estranged from his mother.

"I don't know," he said, when Lexa questioned Edward about Phoebe. "I don't believe we are in anyway related."

"But isn't strange how much she looks like you," Lexa asked.

Edward was silent for a moment. "It is strange. But that does not mean she is my sister. I told you I'm an only child."

Lexa nodded. She believed him. There was no doubt in that fact.

Edward took a deep breath and said, reassuringly. "I know it's all confusing, but one day, everything will make sense."

"I didn't realize," Lexa said, "how complicated your family history."

Edward smiled and said, in acknowledgment, "It is complicated."

The next day, the weather was fine one. Something about the conversation that Lexa had with Edward made the tension in the air dissipate. It also help her mood when she joined her husband and her father-in-law for breakfast.