Chapter Seventeen, Part Two

"I never knew I even had a brother," Phoebe began.

The two of them had departed the Drumbroke Manor, with Miss Lyons accompanying Lexa as they made their way to the Abernathy Hotel. When they arrived, Lexa and Phoebe made it to Phoebe's apartment. It was good thing because there was much to be discussed. Lexa also had a feeling that it was the only way Phoebe would release was  her feelings and frustrations.

"When I was three years of age," began Phoebe, "Charlotte married Winston Abernathy. You can guess why."

And Lexa did. Internal she surmised that it was likely that Charlotte would marry for money if not anything else.

"My dear papa," Phoebe continued. There was a strong sense of affection when she mention the now late Mr. Abernathy. "I believe he was good man. In love Charlotte and her daughter. Along with his children from his previous marriage, he was happy."

Phoebe inhaled and then exhaled as she continued on with her tale. "on the night of my fifth birthday, Charlotte left. Without warning."

"Father was devastated by her abandonment and I was unsure of where I stood. Would he be abandon me as well? Would I  be pitied or resented for being her daughter?"

Phoebe the smiled and her tone became much warmer. "But my dearest papa. He was a kind and compassionate man. He chose to raise me as his daughter and loved me the way my mother failed to loved me."

Lexa fought the urge to pity Phoebe. It was a truly unfortunate thing that Charlotte didn't love her children. For what reason was there then to be a mother? Lexa continued to listen as she fought her internal feel of rage towards Edward and Phoebe.

Meanwhile, in Drumbroke Manor, both Edward and his father were dumbfounded by the revelation of Charlotte's tale. It changed everything that he knew about. About the fact that all this time he had a sister  whom he had the fathom idea existed. Edward curled his lips in disdain.

This was Charlotte's way of ruining people's live. She really only cared about herself and didn't have the slightest compassion for her children. It was rather unfortunate that Miss Abernathy was a victim of all this.

Unable to bare the thought of being inside the same room as his mother, Edward departed and made his way out of the manor. He thought that perhaps he ought to go to the gentlemen's club, White's and calm his nerves down.

The club was nearly empty. At this hour not many gentlemen stalked the club. Edward imagined that their lives were less complicated than his.

"Lord Douro," an unfamiliar voice said. Edward looked up from where he was sitting. Raising his eyebrows, he was surprised to see Robert Garroway, Marquess of Anglesey.

"Lord Anglesey," Edward replied. He had not see the young Anglesey in a while. Anglesey nodded at him and said, "Care if I join you?"

Lord Anglesey was a few years his junior. As he was told by Lexa, he was of the same age as her cousin, Miss Kingsley.

Edward nodded his consent and Anglesey sat beside him.

"What bring you to London, My Lord?" Edward asked the young marquess.

"I'm here visiting an acquaintance," said Anglesey. "Lord Fairfax."

Edward knew who Lord Fairfax was. He was the only child of the elderly Duke of Melrose. The duke had married late in life and fathered his only child in his fifties. Fairfax Hall was a couple of blocks from his own house.

"I pray that His Grace is well?" Edward inquired.

"His Grace is in robust health," said Anglesey.

Edward was pleased to here that.

Lexa was the first to return to the manor. It would seem that the duke was out, as was her husband. Sighing to herself, Lexa couldn't help but be overwhelmed by Phoebe. After Phoebe told her story, Lexa insisted that she come to Drumbroke Manor and speak to Edward.

Phoebe refused. Even if Lord Douro was her brother. She did not wish to get involve with the mess that was the Wellington family. Lexa couldn't argue with that reason, but still, was a relationship with Edward such a bad thing?

"I do not think of ill of Lord Douro," Phoebe told her, "but Lord Douro and I are rather strangers."

"Strangers who share full blood," said Lexa, "and if you are His Grace's daughter, then you are in right of your title as Lady Phoebe Wellesley."

Phoebe has flinched at the mention of being a noble British lady, it was almost as if Lady Phoebe Wellesley was a curse word.

"That may be so," Phoebe said, "but I am, and will forever be, Phoebe Abernathy."

Making her way to the marchioness's bedchamber, Lexa wondered if there would ever be a resolution to this conflict. She prayed there was.

A knock came about, and Lexa turned.

"You May enter, Miss Lyons," she said.

The door opened, and in came her husband. Edward smiled at her, and said, "May I come in, Lady Douro?"

Lexa blinked at her husband. It had been a while since she and Edward were alone in any regard. Ever since her honeymoon last month, things had rather gone awkward. It was also further complicated by Edward's mother.

But she would not allow fate to make her a miserable woman. She would strive to make her marriage a happy one.

"You may enter, Lord Douro."

Edward closed the door behind him and walked over to where she was sitting. Lexa continued to brushed her locks of hair and questioned, "have you dismissed my lady maid from coming here?"

"Indeed," Edward said, "how can I miss up on spending time with my beautiful wife?"

Lexa's cheeks warmed at her husband's compliment. Turning her head, Lexa looked at her husband in concern before turning back to face the mirror.

"How is your father?" She asked.

"Not in the best of moods, I'm afraid," Edward replied.

Of course. Lexa' has seen how foul the duke's mood can get. It was bad for everyone when Edward's mother came storming into their lives.

"And your mother?" Lexa asked.

"God know where she is," Edward said, "not that I care."

There was a pause after he utter that butter statement.

"Lexa," Edward began, as he beside her in her spare chair, " I must apologize for the trouble I caused you."

Lexa took her husband's hand. "It is alright. I'm not upset about anything."

Edward raised his hand and stroked her cheek, brushing her golden locks away. His heart was pounding with the warm emotions he had for his wife. Perhaps there was love in there, he was unsure. But there one thing that he was most certain of. Lexa was not his mother, nor was he I'm his father.

This marriage. His sudden bride. He didn't know where the years would take, whether or not they would be happy, but he would try.

Because that is what they both deserved.

Coming closer, Edward brushed his lips against her. His heart fluttering her response.

and then he kissed her.

He kissed her in a way that made her heart burst. Lexa clung on to him as they continued to kiss.

When they broke apart, Edward stood up and scooped Lexa into his arms.

"Oh my," Lexa said, blushing as Edward carried his wife to his bedchamber.

It would be a long night.