Chapter Six, Part One

CHAPTER SIX

Within days since they arrived back in England, Lexa found herself back in London with her ladies-maid, Anna. Her father had taken off to Whitehall in Hampshire to deal with the matters of the estate. He had taken Lucian with them and her mother and sister had voluntary joined them. That left her with the house staff and Anna. The first few days Lexa was bored to death, as she could not stand the loneliness. So, she had written to Caroline and told her of her dilemma, so Caroline had written back t her and said to come to London.

And now, as Lexa dropped her baggage on the pavement floor, with Anna following behind, she took a deep breath and sighed. She was again at Montgomery and she was rather coming to be fond of the place.

"I really don't understand why you had to drag me here," said Anna in a irritated voice.

"Dear," said Lexa, "What has gotten into you? You have been like this since I returned from Denmark. Are you alright?"

Instead of answering her question, Anna picked up her suitcase and marched her way towards the main entrance. Lexa sighed and rubbed her temple. Lucian, she concluded, he has something to do with this. She had known Anna since girlhood, and whenever she was irritated it was merely because she was confused.

As Lexa followed Anna, she muttered darkly to herself and cursed Lucian. As much as she knew that Lucian was pathetically in love with Anna, it did not meant that he had the right to toy with Anna's emotions.

When Lexa unpacked and set her belonging to her bedchamber, she made her way to the servants' quarter where she found Anna reading alone. Flipping the pages Anna didn't seem to notice Lexa's presence as Lexa closed the door behind her.

"Anna," said Lexa

Anna looked up and said, flatly, "My lady?"

Lexa flinched. Why on earth was she using such formality? She relaxed her expression and made her way towards the chair beside Anna and asked, worriedly, "Pray Anna, why are you angry?"

Anna sighed, "I'm not angry, Lexa. I'm...." she swallowed.

"Confused?" Lexa asked helpfully.

Anna said nothing but nodded.

"Pray tell me why you're so confused?"

Anna gently bit her lower lip, but confided in Lexa and told her what happened while she was away in Denmark. Her face was tomato red as she spoke and Lexa guessed that this was not easy for her.

"That bastard," said Lexa after Anna finished her story. "I knew that he fancied you, but I never thought he would take advantage of you."

"He...he didn't take advantage of me though," said Anna quietly, "He was drunk...but he looked as if wanted me."

"Of course he wants you, Anna," said Lexa, "He is in love with you."

After she said that, Lexa realized her mistake as Anna's blue-green eyes widened in shock. Poor girl, she had no idea. Biting her lower lip, she thought to herself, Lucian is going to murder me.

After recovering, Anna whispered, "Lucian loves me?"

Lexa sighed. What she to do?

Thankfully, Anna changed the subjected and asked, "What of your Edward?" Lexa blushed, "Good Heavens, Anna. You sound like my grandmother calling him 'your Edward'"

"Well, isn't he?"

"We're not even married yet."

"But you will be."