Chapter Twelve, Part One

When Lexa and Edward returned to London. News of the arrival of the newly married Marquess and Marchioness of Douro circulated London and ton was eager to congratulate the new couple when the Duke of Wellington decided to hold a ball in their honour. It was the first ball for Lexa as the lady of the house. Drumbroke Manor soon had its ballroom filled with guests when the invitations were issued, and now it was filled with dancing, music, and chatter.

"I do hope you and Lord Douro can join me and my husband in Sussex," said Lady West to Lexa.

Lexa, holding her champagne flute smiled at the baroness and said, "his lordship and I would be most pleased, my lady."

Lady West was most pleased that Lexa considered the thought of coming down to
Sussex.

Edward approached them afterwards, and smiled at Lady West. "You seem to enjoy the company of the hostess to yourself, Lady West," he mused

Lady West looked at Edward and blushed slightly.. "Indeed, my lord," said the baroness and the Baron West came towards them to whisk his wife away. "Lady Douro has been kind to me."

Baron West smiled at his wife as he reached her, and said, bowing to Lexa and Edward. "Douro, Lady Douro. Please forgive me as I steal my wife away."

Edward and Lexa watched as Baron West and his wife left them. Edward took Lexa's hand, which captured her

"Care to dance?" he asked her.

Lexa smiled at him, and said, "Yes."

They took themselves on to the ballroom floor, and joined in with the other dancing couples. Edward smiled at her, and Lexa smiled in returned.

"Your father did a splendid job with the ball," Lexa said, as Edward spun her around in circle.

"Yes," replied Edward, "He was at his best."

They looked at found the duke smiling and entertaining the Prince and Princess of Wales. Their Highnesses were quite a fine couple, Lexa decided, as she and Edward continued to dance.

It was fine evening it was, thought Lucian as he watched his sister and his new brother-in-law dance amongst the other couples. He had come with his parents and sisters to see how Lexa was doing, as it had been a week since her marriage to the marquess. Another reason, supposed Lucian, was because he needed to get away from thinking too much about Anna.

It was shame really because she avoided him like the plague whenever they were of close proximity. Worse, was that Mrs. Lloyd was getting eerily suspicious of the two of them, so he decided that for Anna's sake he would leave Wilton and head off to London for awhile.

It had been awhile since he had made his residence in Montgomery House. While he did go to London it was rare that he made his residence at the family London estate via the nearest train station. He always made it to Percival's', the famous and luxurious home for bachelors. But today, as he had not booked an apartment of the bachelor home, he announced himself to Mrs. Sweeting, Montgomery's housekeeper and she had the servants prepare his room while his valet, Gilbert unpacked his belongings.

Now he was sitting in the corner sipping on his champagne flute. He was in no mood for dancing, but was careful to not come of asa  drunk and embarrass his sister in her new home.

"Herbert," a deep voice said, and Lucian looked up to see Lord James Bourne. Lucian raised his eyebrows and said, "I did not expect to you see here, James."

James grinned, and said, "Nor did my father."

"How was your travel?" Lucian asked finishing of what was left of his wine in champagne flute.

"British India is quite wonderful this time of year," said James. then he paused and looked towards the people dancing. "Lady Douro looks her finest this evening."

Lucian paused and looked to see his sister still dancing with the marquess. Yes, she was at her finest. she was wearing a baby blue ball gown adorned with jewel which he could only assume where the Wellesley heirlooms.

"She is," said Lucian to James.

James looked at Lucian curiously and said, "Have you decided that you are in need of a wife?"

Lucian snorted. if he was in need of a wife he would have said so. but unfortunately, the lady of his choosing was subconscious of society and her place in it. she didn't know how much he loved her that he didn't give a damn about the gossipmongers of London. but his dearest Anna would be needing some convincing.

"Perhaps," he said, and turned to James, and said, "And of you."

"Absolutely not. I'm the second son. its not my responsibility," James replied, "Maurice fortunately has gotten himself engaged."

Lucian was intrigued. Maurice was engaged. Although he and the Earl of Ashcroft weren't friends per say, they did grow up with each other.

James nodded, confirming his statement. "Her name is Rachel Lodge. She is the daughter of a nouveau-riche business man from New York."

"An American?" Lucian replied, "Why an American?"

James shrugged, "Its the trend now. Don't you remember the Duke and Duchess of Manchester?"

"No. I was in Eton then."

"Well, I remember. Mother and Father hosted Their Graces at our home."

"How is your father?" Lucian asked. the Duke of Kilburn rarely made it to London nowadays.

"Father is well," James said, "Anyways, Miss Lodge's dowry will allow us to refurbish our main estate."

"So this marriage is will be beneficial," Lucian said, and then he wondered if he would have to make a such a marriage as well.

"What about love? Does Ashcroft like Miss Lodge?"

James shrugged. It wasn't his place to say, for he didn't know.